The vhs/dvd covers of Batman Returns

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Sat, 5 Sep 2009, 08:02

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 5 Sep 2009, 08:02 Last Edit: Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 00:06 by THE BAT-MAN
 Would you like to have had the vhs/dvd covers of Batman Returns to be just the emblem covered in snow?  The cover of the cast featuring The Bat. The Cat, and The Penguin? Or the cardboard popout poster?  Personally, I prefer the emblem.  Why? because to me, not only is it iconic but, it makes a good pairing with the 1989 vhs/dvd cover.

Agreed. Actually the R2 DVD covers have the Batsymbols on the covers.

However I am considering buying the R1 DVD for the commentary, which it has the original artwork - the second picture down.

I actually like the R2 DVD cover art than what we got here in the states, but if there's no commentary included with the R2 DVD ... eh .. that's ok.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The Anthology on Blu-Ray has the R2 style DVD covers.
Sam Kinison is my God.

Quote from: THE "BAT-MAN" on Sat,  5 Sep  2009, 08:02

that is not the original artwork - it's been done recently. it is awesome quality. Who made it?

Also, it has a tag beneath the left wing. This symbol looks much better than the "Redux" symbol seen on the SE DVD cover.

Sun, 6 Sep 2009, 02:04 #7 Last Edit: Wed, 16 Feb 2011, 00:07 by THE BAT-MAN
Quote from: ral on Sat,  5 Sep  2009, 22:03

that is not the original artwork - it's been done recently. it is awesome quality. Who made it?

I'm not sure who made it, I found it while doing an image search on google for the logo of Batman Returns.   However,  I was aware that it was not the original artwork since it had a special symbol under the left side of the Batwing.  If you are interested in seeing the location of where i got the image here is the link.

http://jillgiovanni.deviantart.com/art/Batman-Returns-Logo-126425326

Sun, 6 Sep 2009, 03:07 #8 Last Edit: Sun, 6 Sep 2009, 03:09 by thecolorsblend
I'm of two minds, actually.  On the one hand, I seriously dig the snowy bat emblem.  Obviously it bookends the B89 poster and there is that to consider but the other thing is that it just plain looks cool.  Two very good reasons to use it.

On the other hand, the standard cover has a certain nostalgia to it.  Plus, I read some analysis of BR at some website or another where this lady breaks down some of the symbolism in the film, not least of which being that poster and how it relates to totem imagery in the film (impossibly tall skyscrapers, the bat signal reflectors being the tallest part of Wayne Manor, etc).

The third poster is not to my taste.  It's poorly composed, Batman has clearly been "flipped", the Penguin simply looks awkward, Catwoman is positioned flat out goofy, the penguins are too big and too prominent on the poster, etc.  There's simply nothing about it that I like.

I like the 3rd one.

I have a 3ft high 3d cardboard standee of it.