What's the better film: Forever or Returns?

Started by Shan45, Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 21:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Returns or Forever

Batman Forever
7 (17.5%)
Batman Returns
33 (82.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

I chose Batman Returns over Forever, but I'm not always in tune with Batman Returns to be honest. I love that Keaton is in it. And Catwoman is always great.  But sometimes I feel like I can't watch it for some reason, unlike the first Batman, which I can watch over and over again at any given time no matter what mood I'm in.
Batman Forever wasn't the worst bat film made in my opinion. I think Batman and Robin was, however.

Forever, drew a thin string connecting to Batman Returns in terms of its dying Burton style as Shoemacker (sp?) took over. You can see the transition before it went totally "gay" in B&R. And that's why I can watch it SOMETIMES. 

Batman Forever is a movie that struggled to be it's own new movie. And struggling it was. You have to clear your mind of the first movie as well as the second installment or you may have problems connecting its level of common sense. There's a lot of comic bookish qualities present in Forever. It was hard for me to follow when I first saw it.
Couldn't tell if the director was raping the series or what.

I hated Nicole Kidman's character in the movie. I didn't like the boy wonder as much either. And my goodness, what a horrendous looking Batmobile. It looked to me as if they removed the awesome beautiful shell of the original Batmobile and allowed it to be driven with its skeletal frame exposed. YUK. And all those neon lights completely made it campy for me. I knew then things were going downhill from there.

It's a wacky movie. Batman Returns was wacky too albeit dark, but Forever took it to the next level. If you enjoy wacky, then its a good fun film to watch for the whole family. Its not entirely stupid like B&R.

I dont like wacky much in a Batman movie though so I'll stick with BATMAN. lol.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

While both Burton Batman films are very re-watchable, I find myself watching Returns a lot more. I don't find it wacky, to me that's normal. I realise the imagery and ideas in my mind isn't insanity. It's just a flick more in tune with me.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  5 Aug  2009, 23:13
When did this thread degenerate from a Returns v Forever topic to one solely revolving around Jaws.  Can we stick to the topic guys?

Can anyone convince me why Forever is even remotely a patch on Returns?

Johnny, its not! I think at the time Forever appealed more than Returns to the general  movie going public, kids and families on a Saturday afternoon matinee!

But on hindsight people can see that the earlier films were far superior. I agree that Returns still may not appeal to some people, but I think it?s a better all round film with more depth that people realise.

Forever for me works as a separate entity if you allow yourself to forget about the first two ? that?s how it works in my mind, just like Batman Begins or TDK.

Batnar, some good points there, that?s how I feel about Forever.