Green Lantern (2011)

Started by Edd Grayson, Sun, 23 Jun 2013, 23:36

Previous topic - Next topic
These scans are courtesy of Joker.

Even back in the old days, casting Liddy as anything at all didn't add up for me since he wasn't an actor by trade. Plus, Michael Ironside did plenty of bit parts, esp in the late Nineties. Which is what I would assume Kyle's landlord would be anyway. But in all seriousness, does anyone even care about Kyle's landlord?? I'm thinking ignoring Radu Stancu wouldn't have been a deal-breaker for anybody.

Also, you can describe Miles Dyson as many things in T2. But "tough" isn't the first word I'd use. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Joe Morton would've been fine as John Stewart. But I'm just not seeing the connection between John Stewart and Miles Dyson that made someone at Wizard apparently say, "Zoinks, it's gotta be Morton!"

I'm similarly confused by the casting for Alan Scott. If you're making a Rayner movie, including Scott at all is a dicey proposition. But if you're determined to do it anyway, then I think casting an actor in his fifties or sixties would probably be the way to go. And even back then, I'm sure there were many actors who fit that description.

In fact, considering Kyle's early appearances, this entire cast seems a little bloated. If you're determined to launch a Green Lantern franchise starring Kyle in the Nineties, I think it makes sense to loosely follow the comics for the first film, position Major Force as a major threat, kill off Alex in the second act and then have Kyle and Major Force do their big showdown for the climax of the film.

And then save Alan Scott, John Stewart, Jade and the other characters for sequels. But the first movie should probably be lean and mean if it's made in the Nineties.

Then again, I could be overthinking this entire thing.