0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (4%)
2 (8%)
5 (20%)
10 (The Best)
16 (64%)

Total Members Voted: 24

This film should be re-released in 2013 (20th anniversary). 8)

Best Batman movie ever made ;D
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Quote from: GuedesGothamKnight on Sat, 17 Jan  2009, 17:34
Best Batman movie ever made ;D
I just love resurrecting ancient threads.

Anyway, Bleeding Fool recently did a count-up series of listicles ranking the best Batman films. Some of the choices are obvious enough (TDK is #2) and some were surprising (BR is #3? B89 is #10?!). But the top spot shouldn't be a surprising at all.

https://bleedingfool.com/reviews/batman-films-ranked-1-batman-mask-of-the-phantasm-1993

I've never been prepared to put MOTP at the top spot because, honestly, it wasn't originally intended for a theatrical release and it's not live action. Plus, I've never rly liked the idea that Bruce became Batman, ultimately, because Andrea walked out on him. But here, we see that he was prepared to give up on his mission for Andrea's sake. He realized he couldn't be a family man and Batman at the same time. The fact that he would've chosen her if she hadn't left... just never sat right with me.

And that takes the movie down quite a few pegs in my estimation.

Still, I do love the movie and it's always great to see others giving MOTP some appreciation. Because it didn't get much appreciation back in the old days.

I don't mind it from the perspective of it being the last roadblock. He was always willing to embrace the war on crime, but there was still a sense of reluctance to commmence as he knew what level of commitment it took. A real opportunity at happiness was dashed, "now look at what you made me become". The dark tunnel of the mission is all he has left, and despite occasional glimpses of romantic hope his circumstances don't change. That's a trait most of the best Gothic protagonists share. Andrea was never going to choose Bruce because his very being was aligned in the process of becoming Batman. The universe was not going to allow anything else. Case in point the bats swarming from the ground as Bruce gets down on his knee to propose, changing the mood instantly.

A few years ago, Jason Fabok drew this great artwork. What a tribute!

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei