Venom film green lighted

Started by riddler, Sun, 15 Dec 2013, 00:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Flash thompson will be the alter ego, Carnage confirmed as the villain.

It'll break continuity but should be interesting.

Nah sounds like total rubbish to me.

Sheesh can't studio's take their time to establish characters first? Is the world crying out for a Venom film? Plus where the hell is Eddie Brock? There's only one Venom in my book. I'm not sure I even like the Spider-Man movies anymore given their recent awful reboots. There's even a rumour Andrew Garfield is going to bail by movie four before I've barely gotten used to him. Movieland slow the f*** down on all counts.

Seems like it'll be after at least the 3rd film. I originally wondered why not eddie brock but then after giving it more thought it gives them 3 films to develop Flash Thompson. I was kind of hoping for a spider-man vs venom film fixing the mistakes of the last series but seems we may not get that one.

This is a terrible idea.  Sony screwed up Eddie Brock last time.  What do they think "job done!  We don't need to do the story behind Eddie Brock because we've done it 'well already"?

Assuming it is true though, will Sony at least keep to continuity and cast Chris Zylka in the part.  He has the beefy look for an imposing Flash Thompson-Venom at least.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm alot less interested in a Flash Thompson/Venom movie, than I would be for a Eddie Brock/Venom film. Even if Marvel seems very content on keeping the Venom symbiote away from Eddie for a substantial period of time. And what's the point of that recent viral marketing? You know, the online article written by a certain "Eddie Brock" detailing Spidey taking down the Enforcers. Evidently, a tease with no pay off in sight. Yay. That's really exciting.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

When did they say Flash Thompson was going to be Venom in the movie? 

From all the reports I read, they just said the Kurtzman and Orci duo were writing it with Ed Solomon, with Kurtzman directing, but nothing about the characters.

http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/theamazingspiderman2/microsite/electroarrives/theamazingspiderman_pressrelease_1212.pdf

QuoteCULVER CITY, Calif., December 12, 2013 – In a move to forge a new legacy in the story of Peter Parker on screen, Sony Pictures Entertainment, in association with Marvel Entertainment, is developing several new projects in the Spider-Man franchise, with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to collaborate on overseeing the developing story over several films that will be produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures, and Hannah Minghella, president of Production for the studio.

The five writers, along with the two producers and Marc Webb, have formed a franchise brain trust to expand the universe for the brand and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films. Under the deals, the studio announced that Kurtzman & Orci & Pinkner are writing the screenplay for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which the studio hopes Webb will return to direct; the film will go into production next fall for release on June 10, 2016. In addition, the team will build on the cinematic foundation laid by Webb, Arad, and Tolmach in the first two movies. They will expand the franchise as Kurtzman & Orci & Solomon will write the screenplay for Venom, which Kurtzman will direct; also, Goddard will write, with an eye to direct, The Sinister Six, focusing on the villains in the franchise. Hannah Minghella and Rachel O'Connor will oversee the development and production of these films for the studio.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

so now that we've seen the 2nd film, what are everyones thoughts?

I would have been okay with using Flash if he were in the 2nd film but since he wasn't, they should use Eddie, here's how I'd do it;

In spider-man 3, since they're using the daily Bugle as a setting, set up Eddie Brock and the black suited spider-man. I do hope they make Eddie a little bit of a better person than the last series, not that Topher Graces character was bad but keep in mind this one must turn good at some point. Actually the SM3 video game had an interesting take on it. Have the symbiote cause spider-man to do some excessive things he wouldn't normally do; lash out at the civilians for making him save them and go overboard beating up the bad guys (ie instead of just trapping them, beat them to a pulp, destroy their property etc) and have Eddie be the one catching him and reporting him; so the smear campaign the Bugle does against him would be more honest.

At the end of the film have either brock become venom or the implication (for instance if they decide to have Brock become venom in a church, have the final shot be Parker entering the church with Eddie there).

For the Venom film I'd do it similar to the Incredible Hulk;
first act can be spider-man vs. Venom. I know some will say it's not sufficient but in SM3 we got a 10 minute fight and that one was 2 on 2, if they spend say half an hour showing Venom rampaging and being fought and defeated by spider-man, that would be more screen time.

For the second quarter of the film set up the Cletus Kassidy character while Brock is in jail without the symbiote. There's a few ways to do it, one could be have Kassidy thrown in Brocks cell and then tell his story in a classic "what are you in here for?" methodology. Heck if they want to be creative, try telling it in a comic format using panels (although that didn't go well when Ang Lee tried it). At the culmination of the second quarter have the symbiote re attach itself to Brock and give birth to the Carnage symbiote so both can break out.

For the third quarter Brock is Venom again but with more control. Have him become Venom only in peril (he's a fugitive so authorities would be hunting him) but like the Hulk have him merely attempt to get away from Authorities. Because the authorities are chasing Venom, this frees up Carnage to have his own rampage only Kassidy being truly evil has no boundaries. Similar to the Abomination, have him wreak havoc.  Also have Venom blamed for the crimes, perhaps have people assume that Venom changed colour (depending on whether he is perceived to be an alien or a man in a suit like Spider-man)

The final act would be the title bout; Brock realizing that he's in part responsible for Carnage intentionally turning into Venom. Now one problem could be how does Venom beat a more powerful Carnage? One idea could be what the comics did; have them fight immediately after the birth of Carnage. In the comics the Venom symbiote is weak having just given birth and Carnage wins easily so that when they fight again, Carnage gets too cocky.

Now what do do with Carnage in the end is up to the writers; probably best not to kill him off, either put him in a place he might not return from (ie space, under water, a giant containment). Like the comics I'd have Brock retreat to a secluded island somewhere. That gives them the option on what to do with him in future films; he's easy to bring back but if they choose not to, the simple explanation is that he's away from civilization.