Learning more about Bruce Wayne

Started by JokerMeThis, Thu, 6 Mar 2014, 02:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: JokerMeThis on Wed, 12 Mar  2014, 03:28
Bruce would probably give anything to be able to see his parents again. It's a quick line that says a lot. Good writing.
This is interesting. His parents are a massive part of his existence. And he's had an entire lifetime to accept that.

If he had the chance to bring them back, would he take it?

Don't be so quick to assume he would.

Thu, 13 Mar 2014, 03:42 #11 Last Edit: Thu, 13 Mar 2014, 03:52 by JokerMeThis
What I had in mind was Bruce maybe being able to see his parents again for a short time just to say all the things he wish he could've said to them and to say good-bye.

But if Bruce could bring his parents back to life and they'd continue living until they grew old and died naturally, why wouldn't he?

One thing I find interesting about the "His parents...I hope he finds them" line is that this is the closest thing in Batman Returns to a reference to Bruce's parents or their murders. That lack of reference in the movie makes the line more powerful I think.

Thu, 13 Mar 2014, 12:05 #12 Last Edit: Thu, 13 Mar 2014, 12:15 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: JokerMeThis on Thu, 13 Mar  2014, 03:42
But if Bruce could bring his parents back to life and they'd continue living until they grew old and died naturally, why wouldn't he?
I'm not sure he would. I can see him treasuring their memory and leaving them in peace.

As I said, he's been alive longer without his parents than with. That has become his norm.
Think about it. If your parents had been dead for years, even though you love them, them turning up all of a sudden would be a scary prospect. You have mentally adjusted to this new life.

I think Bruce would decide that they lived and died. Just as raising the Titanic, or building another one, doesn't feel the same. And truth be told, their end marked his beginning. An alive Martha and Thomas Wayne does not mix with adult Bruce's lifestyle. I'm sure he realises that. They were a moment in time, just as he was too. A young boy.

He holds onto this pain because it drives him.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Thu, 13 Mar  2014, 03:42
One thing I find interesting about the "His parents...I hope he finds them" line is that this is the closest thing in Batman Returns to a reference to Bruce's parents or their murders. That lack of reference in the movie makes the line more powerful I think.
Definitely, Keaton's delayed response also shows he's in deep thought.

Maybe. But Bruce's parents lives were stolen from them. I think Bruce would want to give them a second chance at life if he could. It's not about him. It's about them.

It might be strange for them to be alive again from the viewpoint of an adult Bruce Wayne. But again, it's not about Bruce. It's about them because he loves them and would give them a second chance at life if he could. It's not like they'd live with him. Bruce could give them Wayne Manor and he could move into a nice apartment like in The Dark Knight.

Some people thrive in misery. You can take away their misery and bring the into the light and they die emotionally and spiritually because the pain and suffering has become their only comfort. The thought of someone loving and helping them without wanting anything in return could never enter their minds.

Do you think Tim Burton's Bruce Wayne might be like this?

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 10 Mar  2014, 16:03
I agree it would've been better if we learned more about Bruce Wayne in Batman Returns. I like Penguin and Catwoman but they often steal the spotlight from our hero.

I wonder why Burton wanted to stay away from Batman '89 so much, I liked the way Batman was handled there too and it would've been nice to develop Batman's story in BR.

i think Burton was just uneasy with sequels at that time. He felt uneasy about a sequel hence why he made such a different film with the only reference being Vicky Vale. That's likely why he created the Max Schreck character instead of using Harvey Dent in such a role.

As much as Burton gets slagged for his 'style' he does do something different with every film.

I do agree Bruce Wayne was left underdeveloped. Though perhaps that was intentional; he wanted the character to be mysterious and scary.

Ya know, I was just thinking about that. In fact, lately in general...last 8 months or so..as I have warmed up to Nolan's films more, when I find myself watching Wayne go about his business at Wayne Enterprises, rather than think, as most Nolan fan's do, "oh man uber pwnage on Nolan's scorecard," I think instead, "I really wish we had seen this side of Bruce more in Burton's world" ...or at least more of W.E....Wayne's visit to Shreck was as close as it got, but I really wanted a...day in the life of Burton's Wayne at some point, from rising in the morning to dawning the cowl at night.