best fight scene in a superhero movie?

Started by mrrockey, Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:54

Previous topic - Next topic
What do you guys think is the best fight scene in a superhero movie? For me, the word "best" is a little too broad so I guess I'm gonna talk about what fight is the best in what context.

In terms of the pure "awesome" factor(as in the joy of seeing it onscreen), the battle of New York in The Avengers is probably the most satisfying. Because while we've seen various superheroes fighting alongside each other at once in the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies, we haven't seen a fight with THIS scale.

But in terms of suspense and tension, I'd probably go with the first fight between Batman and Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. While I've heard a few complain that Batman and Bane just look they're brawling in this scene, not using various deadly styles of martial arts they've learned from the League of Shadows, I think they're missing the point. In real-life, skilled martial artists don't do a gazillion karate kicks and backflips in a fight like they do in the movies, they rely more on grapples and fists which added a sense of realism in this fight along with the lack of music and the sounds of grunts and thuds further add to it.

What do you think is the best fight scene in a superhero movie?

Discuss...

Quote from: mrrockey on Wed, 14 May  2014, 00:54
But in terms of suspense and tension, I'd probably go with the first fight between Batman and Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. While I've heard a few complain that Batman and Bane just look they're brawling in this scene, not using various deadly styles of martial arts they've learned from the League of Shadows, I think they're missing the point. In real-life, skilled martial artists don't do a gazillion karate kicks and backflips in a fight like they do in the movies, they rely more on grapples and fists which added a sense of realism in this fight along with the lack of music and the sounds of grunts and thuds further add to it.

No I disagree. I thought the fight between Bane and Batman looked  anything but believable - it was clumsy, cumbersome and poorly choreographed. They don't necessarily have to do backflips, but I thought for two supposedly skilled martial artists, the fight scenes between the two don't compliment them very well. If anything, they came across as two drunks fighting each other. But in its defense, it's still a massive improvement from anything from Batman Begins; where the action in that movie was the worst I've ever seen on film. Having said that, when a low budget TV show like Arrow has more compelling fight scenes than a multi-million dollar movie, that's unforgivable.

Anyway, I think the recent Captain America: The Winter Soldier has the most frenetic action scenes I've seen in a superhero film in quite some time. Cap vs Batroc, Cap vs HYDRA, everything involving the Winter Soldier - impressive stuff.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

some memorable ones;

-Batman vs catwoman in returns. It was the only time Batman had any kind of fight vs a villain in that series other than a short one with Mr. Freeze. All the other villains aside from two face were not physically imposing
-as maligned as superman 4 was, the fight with Nuclear man was well done
-the raimi spider-man series had some good ones; the bank fight vs doc ock as well as the finale in the third film (though that was a 2 on 2 fight)
-iron man 2 whiplash fight was fairly solid
-the incredible hulk vs the abomination was solid seeing the two hulks go at it after such a build up.
-amazing spider-man vs the lizard in the school was like something out of a comic book