Superman screening in Belfast 15th Nov 2010

Started by Paul (ral), Sat, 6 Nov 2010, 01:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 10 Nov  2010, 01:31

Would love to see "The Rocketeer" on the silver screen.

Especially Jenny.  :)  :)  :)

I did see her on the big screen!  ;D

I was only eleven at the time though.  :(
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Sun, 14 Nov  2010, 00:21
I did see her on the big screen!  ;D

I was only eleven at the time though.  :(

Tell me about it. I was 9 1/2. *sigh*

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

What a great night. I was meeting, up for the first time, with a couple of guys from a Superman forum I am a member of and was a little nervous before hand, but that proved to be completely unfounded. They were two of the nicest guys you could meet.

I myself had a bit of time to kill earlier in the day and got to the cinema about 7.10pm (show started at 8pm). I was the first person to arrive in the cinema and since it was quite small I ended up talking and having a cup of tea with to what turned out to be the projectionist. We started talking about the print.

He said he had a lot of work (cutting and pasting) to do on the print to get it ready for the screening. It had been worked on alot in the past. He also said it was one of the longest reels they had run there. If it had of been any longer it would have required an intermission with 2 reels.

Noticing I had an interest in this sort of thing he offered to show me the projection room. I lept at the chance. The reel was massive especially when he compared it to other movies they had there. I lifted the reel to see the weight of it and had a quick feel of the film (sad I know!). I joked "You would have to be Superman to lift that thing!" I wish i could of gotten photos of the reel but my phone doesn't have a flash so the photos came out black (the room was quite dark).

Originally the screening was planned for a small room but after a hickup with the projectors audio we went into the big room. It really worked out for the best...alot more immersive.

The print was a little worn in some places (mostly the first 20 minutes) but I was really impressed with the colour of the print and generally it very good. It was an original print from 1978 and even had the old UK rating at the start - "A". I have the blu-ray and a big telly...but there are just somethings you just need to see on the big screen.

During the credits at the start, for a brief moment felt I was 5 years old again watching Superman 2 in my old local cinema...and that's what it's all about.

I spoke with the projectionist about the quality of the Rocketeer print and apparently it is very good.

Wed, 17 Nov 2010, 00:08 #13 Last Edit: Wed, 17 Nov 2010, 00:14 by Darrell Kaiser

GIVE ME PICTURES OF YOU WITH THE ROCKETEER FILM PRINT!!!