Burton Trilogy

Started by DarkHeart, Fri, 18 Sep 2009, 02:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, the actual details of what burton may have done are probably gone with the trash.  It was a different time for burton and he has moved on.  The masses had one chance with burton and keaton.  And its long gone, I think.

Yeah, I heard about the riddler being dark.  But I didn't hear about twoface.  Interesting.  And I heard about wayans being robin.  Maybe he gives no conclusive responses in interviews because he doesn't really know what he was going to do.  Just speaking out loud.

Quote from: burtongenius on Wed, 16 Dec  2009, 21:14
Maybe he gives no conclusive responses in interviews because he doesn't really know what he was going to do.  Just speaking out loud.

I would say this is quite accurate.  As is the case with Nolan finishing TDK, Burton having put everything into BR would have taken time away from thinking about it (even though I feel he had been more invigorated to tackle the bat by BR)

It depends.  If he was doing the whole, showing of batmans origins thing, then I think a little fore thought might have been in order.  But even then, batman movies are sort of easy as far as trilogys (as opposed to the matrix lets say).  You pick a different bad guy for each movie.  And throw a little info from the previous movie to provide continuation.  In the third movie he wanted robin and was preparing by getting marlan wayans.  Because robin is a whole new element in the batman movies.

What really needs to happen is to ask burton what he thinks the third batman movie should be.  Hypothetically of course.  Because I think he had a sound grounding on what he wanted to do, but I don't think he really had an image in mind.  Maybe he could make another one.  Thats not as far fetched as people think.  If he did, it would be the biggest deal in a long, long, long time.  I'm hoping and praying.

Quote from: burtongenius on Thu,  7 Jan  2010, 21:51
In the third movie he wanted robin and was preparing by getting marlan wayans.  Because robin is a whole new element in the batman movies.

Did he want Robin? I'm not so sure. Wayans was hired for BR and not used - I really don't think Burton would want to use the Robin character (at least not in the way he is currently employed)

He didn't like the concept of robin at all.  At least the comic robin.  If he was doing robin at all, he was doing it his way.  And to him, robin doesn't fight, he's batman's helper, his right arm.  Which isn't demeaning.   Its just that people are scared of batman because he's a bat man.  A character robin is supposed to help batman, hence being a mechanic and helping him.  I found this info on a fan site.  Burton probably thought robin would be best used in the third film, fresh to the viewers.

Thu, 7 Jan 2010, 22:16 #115 Last Edit: Thu, 7 Jan 2010, 22:37 by BatmAngelus
I doubt Burton was going to bring Robin into the third film, considering his own statements on the character on the director's commentary.
Edit: I think he was only in early drafts of Batman 1989 and Batman Returns because WB wanted him to include the character and, later, agreed that the character should be cut.

As for Burton's own plans on a third Batman movie, the only way to find out would be to ask him.
Whatever his plans, they probably had little influence over the development of Batman Forever.  Robin and Two-Face came on board for the third movie upon Schumacher's insistence and they didn't decide use the Riddler until after the screenwriters, Lee and Janet Scott Batchler, were hired.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I know that burton planned to do the "Big Four" from the Adam West series.  Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler.  And they had marlan wayans for the third movie.  When it wasn't made, they dropped wayans.  Burton doesn't like the comic book robin.  But he's sort of obligated to do robin since he's doing the batman franchise, so he's going to do robin his way.  And the Batman Forever guys didn't even have Wayans in their radar.  So it must've come from burton.

Thu, 7 Jan 2010, 22:35 #117 Last Edit: Thu, 7 Jan 2010, 22:43 by BatmAngelus
Yes, Wayans was hired on for the role for Batman Returns when they were considering the character and put him in earlier drafts of the script.  When the movie was deemed too crowded, Wayans and Robin were dropped: http://io9.com/5330150/the-real-reason-marlon-wayans-passed-on-playing-robin

After BR, I myself haven't heard anything official on whether or not Burton had decided to wait on Wayans and Robin for the next installment.  But I could be wrong.

Edit: As for Burton's plans on using the "Big Four," I know that he included all of them in his early treatment.  http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/articles.php?showarticle=49
And an early draft of Batman Returns mentions The Riddler at the end. 

But since the aforementioned treatment was for the 1989 Batman film and the line from Batman Returns didn't make it into later drafts, I haven't found anything official that Burton specifically wanted the Riddler for the follow-up to Batman Returns.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...