Started by Catwoman, Tue, 10 Nov 2009, 16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

does a winter setting suit batman?

yes
18 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Since we're on the subject, I LOVED Batman Adventures.  That book would've been memorable even if it hadn't been tied up in the BTAS continuity.  Mike Parobeck was a friggin craftsman.  The light, the shadows, the angles, the pacing, the structure, Parobeck understood how to tell stories visually.  Towards end of that line, Puckett could write stories with only the bear necessities of dialogue and Parobeck could tell the story almost completely with visuals.  Absolutely stunning, in most cases.  No, this wasn't exactly the Dark Knight but it had a perfect balance of warmth, humor, pathos, drama, etc.

Much like BTAS itself.

Me, I never felt like the post-Adventures books carried the same magic.  There was some extraordinary chemistry that got lost when Parobeck passed away.  After that, things were never really the same again.

When you look back on it, you really can't argue that there weren't any really awesome Batman comics back then.  Sure, the 90's had its share of absolute drek but for every Cataclysm/No Man's Land, you've got oodles of Elseworld's stories, LOTDK, Batman Adventures, SOTB.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 13 Nov  2009, 06:52

When you look back on it, you really can't argue that there weren't any really awesome Batman comics back then.  Sure, the 90's had its share of absolute drek but for every Cataclysm/No Man's Land, you've got oodles of Elseworld's stories, LOTDK, Batman Adventures, SOTB.

You know, I actually liked the Batman crossovers. Whether or not they still hold up, I don't know, but they didn't seem like stunts, as opposed to the X-Men ones. Only problem was that I couldn't always afford to buy a zillion books a month. That's why it was great to be able to buy a self-contained story.

see this is why i wish i wasn't an ink and pencil virgin so i knew what the hell you guys are talking about.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 13 Nov  2009, 20:49
see this is why i wish i wasn't an ink and pencil virgin so i knew what the hell you guys are talking about.

Well, I'm sure there are a few people on this site who would be more than happy to assist you with your, um, inexperience.

i like the idea of a winter setting for returns - goes well with the whole penguin deal- didn't like it though that they filmed this winter movie primarily indoors and in los angeles - so i never really was sold on the winter aspect of returns

for me gloomy old pinewood worked the best

QuoteQuestion: does a winter setting suit batman?

One of the reasons I liked Batman Returns in the first place. Batman stories fit like a glove with a snow (or rain) setting. One of the factors that make me like the "Going Sane" story (Legends of the Dark Knight, issue 60+) is its BR vibe with the snow.

Quote from: WingedFreak71 on Fri, 13 Nov  2009, 21:41
i like the idea of a winter setting for returns - goes well with the whole penguin deal- didn't like it though that they filmed this winter movie primarily indoors and in los angeles - so i never really was sold on the winter aspect of returns

for me gloomy old pinewood worked the best
Agreed.  I think the chill and all that stuff would've played better in a real location like that.  Plus you'd get English craftsmanship behind the camera.  Still, I think it turned out well.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 22 Nov  2009, 02:41
Plus you'd get English craftsmanship behind the camera. 
Indeed. Some genuine talent hails from those parts. I would know.

But like you, I'm fine with how the film looked and where it was shot.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 22 Nov  2009, 03:52Indeed. Some genuine talent hails from those parts. I would know.
I'm American so I wouldn't know any of 'em personally but let's face the facts, the history of filmmaking in Britain speaks for itself (and far more eloquently so than anything I could say here).