Gotham City as seen in Batman '89

Started by James, Fri, 10 Jul 2009, 04:24

Previous topic - Next topic
One of the large parts of Batman 89's unique feel and style is Gotham City itself. If not for the cars and music, the film could almost pass off as being set somewhere around the 1940s (perhaps a homage to the time that Batman was created by Bob Kane?). You even have old timey style gangsters and newsies.

Bottom line here is that the look and feel of Gotham City is just one of the unique things about BATMAN that make it a film in a class of its own. It really is a fascinating experience.

Gotham City is indeed one of the aspects of the film that sets it apart from others, but for me it's not Gotham (production design) alone, there are many other aspects why this film is so much remembered and treasured.

It's been noted that they tried for a 40's look in books about it's making. Reminded me of how they did this in Titanic.
A smiley's impression of Jack Nicholson    8)

Now as Jack's Joker laughing   :D

Yeah, the notion of not having the film set in a specific time period gave the movie a unique flavor. Batman The Animated Series went with this approach as well, which was great.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The Gotham in Batman89 is very good. It's a timeless design that practically fits into any era.

Sat, 11 Jul 2009, 16:59 #5 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 17:21 by THE BAT-MAN
Very interesting. 

This topic should be merged with the forum topic "Gotham City.... It always brings a smile to my face."  located in the burton's batman forum.

Since, I posted it for the purpose to discuss Gotham City.

Here's the link

http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=573.0

As far as the 1930's style and the Al Capone gangsters - I love it. Bruce Timm's series followed the suit. It was a nice and surrela mix of the 1930's America, Gothic era and modern technology