"Gotham City..... It always brings a smile to my face."

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Tue, 27 Jan 2009, 16:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 21 Jul 2009, 14:57 #20 Last Edit: Tue, 21 Jul 2009, 15:18 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: silenig on Tue, 21 Jul  2009, 11:35
Don't forget the torn mouth. He's not permawhite, but he's not the most good looking guy without his "war" paint, I disagree that he merely "chooses" to be the Joker.
Well, I think he chooses to be the Joker. By applying the makeup and hair dye, he is completing the image created by the scars. He has those thoughts and experiences inside him, and makes a conscious choice to be someone else. Like Batman, I'm sure he changes the sound of his voice as well. He transforms into that persona and projects an image of himself to the public.

Even without the full Joker regalia, he's going to be noticed - but obviously not as much. He still has that twisted mind - but even then he's just a messed up civilian, not The Joker. A civilian merely with nasty facial scars. He's just in hibernation, and when he has all the props, makeup and dye applied he lets his alter-ego loose properly, if you will.

Of the two Burton Gotham Cities, I sort of go back and forth between which one I prefer.  In B89, each shot oozes atmosphere and danger.  There's no safe place in Gotham where you can get away from the crooked cops, the mobsters and the general grime of the city.  It's pretty noir'ish in places with all the fog and dense shadows and such.  B89 may have its weaknesses as a film but one thing that undeniably was done to perfection is the production design/matte paintings of the city.

But then you get to BR, where the city is practically a morbid, oppressive and sadistic character unto itself.  Sure, Batman is out there every night making a difference but you have to wonder if the city just isn't cursed.  The impossibly tall skyscrapers, narrow and confined alleyways, it all makes it seem as though the city is alive and is bent on keeping her citizens down.

Both versions are absolutely Batman.

Wed, 22 Jul 2009, 03:43 #22 Last Edit: Wed, 22 Jul 2009, 05:36 by The Dark Knight
I like both designs, but I favor Returns. Even though it does feel a bit staged and stagebound in places, on the whole it just feels better for me. I just appreciate the concept behind it more. Call me crazy, but I think it has more atmosphere than the 1989 Gotham.