The Dark Knight - 1 year

Started by GuedesGothamKnight, Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 20:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 20:37 Last Edit: Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 23:31 by GuedesGothamKnight
Yeah, 1 year of the realese of TDK...  hey guys, do you remember the posters, the images, the spoilers, the trailers, and specially the viral campaing, guys? What a hype, wasn't it? I really miss those days... What are your memories of the hype for TDK?
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

I remember in January of that year, I saw I Am Legend on the imax, and the commercial that came on before was of course the imax trailer for TDK, the one that shows the bank robbery. One of the most exciting trailers I ever got to see in theaters, and it pretty much established the excitement and hype for a lot of people I think. Pretty much all of the hype and advertisement leading up to TDK was awesome, all the hype and stuff that came after its release, I loathed.

What really stands out for me is the midnight showing.  I've been to bigger ones (Episode III) and more festive/eager ones (Matrix Reloaded) but it's pretty tough to beat TDK's atmosphere.  3 or 400 freethinkers represented in Joker costumes.  There were also Riddlers, Catwomen and a Harley running around too.  There was a tremendous sense of this thing being an Event, you dig?

I didn't and still really don't understand the manic hysteria leading up to TDK's release.  It's pretty obvious, though, that people got what they wanted from the movie.

This may be a strange recollection for some but I really enjoyed my popcorn that evening.  The popcorn dude was obviously a popcorn junkie himself as he poured a little bit of popcorn into the bag, buttered it, put in a little more, buttered that, more popcorn, more butter, popcorn, butter, etc.  Every kernel seemed to be buttered, the Coke was extra cold, the people were extra excited, the costumes were extra nerdy, it was a good night (there were a few bad points from some of the audience members but it's not worth rehashing in a thread like this).

On top of all that stuff, the movie (at least in my opinion) brought home the bacon.  Many of you may know my tastes by now.  You could make two hours of nothing but Batman beating the sh.it out of everybody and I'd rave about how awesome it is.  I love watching Batman kick someone's ass, and TDK had plenty of that.  Good fights, good stunts, good characters, good acting, good effects, good Coke, good popcorn, mostly good crowd, seriously, what's not to like?

In terms of that atmosphere of excitement, the only real comparison I can think of off-hand is Watchmen.  I went to the midnight showing of that.  No costumes or anything, but then Watchmen isn't that kind of property.  Still, there was a tremendous anticipation to see this badboy.  It was a lot more subtle and subdued, people weren't as crazed as they were for Episode III or TDK but that didn't lessen the sense of anticipation.  In relation to that, I'd say the midnight audiences for TDK and Watchmen are pretty comparable.

QuoteI didn't and still really don't understand the manic hysteria leading up to TDK's release.

3 Words Heath Ledger's Death.

I get that, I totally get that, but to me on the best day of TDK's hype, Ledger's unfortunate passing could only account for, what, 50% of the hysteria (not 50% of the film's success, just the hysteria)?  I dunno, it's like there was something in the water in the week leading up to TDK's premiere.  But, who knows, you could be right.

To me, TDK finally brought people up to speed on the rebooted Batman franchise which I sincerely dont believe was the case in 2005 with Batman Begins. As there was indeed a good number of people, who as casual movie goers, automatically assumed that Begins was just another, but delayed, sequel to the 1997's lackluster Batman & Robin (but with a title like Batman Begins I cant imagine why?).

And of course, Ledger's untimely death played it's role as well.

Also, the viral marketing was done extremely well. Getting fans excited and all that jazz.

Here's a nice little video going over the viral marketing of The Dark Knight

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Great to see your memories, guys!  ;D
As a Batman fan, I was really REALLY excited for TDK. I was escited for BB, but for me was just an other Batman movie. And for my surprise, was THE Batman movie. I couldn't wait for the sequel with The Joker...
Then the marketing for TDK came out.... then Ledger's death... my mind was blown away just before the movie itself.
What a amazing summer. Long Live, The Dark Knight, and R.I.P. Ledger.
Anyone planning see TDK today? ;D I am...
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Let's see a year ago....

I remember watching The Dark Knight three times in the theater.  The first time was at a midnight showing, the second time with a real good buddy of mine and the third time was in an IMAX theater with me niece.  I liked the movie, but was and still am greatly disturbed by the un-finished scene of The Joker and his goons storming the Harvey Dent fundraiser.  Batman goes after Rachel when Joker drops her out the window and then cut to: Gordan in MCU.  Wait a second?  Am I to believe The Joker just left and didn't kill anyone else?  Well with that mentality I went and got the Denny O'Neil novelization and read it.  My question was not answered and my respect for Craig Shaw Gardner went through the roof with his brilliant novelizations, due in part to the lack of storytelling on Mr. O' Neil's part.  Seriously, the book reads as a report of events that happened in Gotham City with no suspense and no charisma to boot. 

As a fan of the Batman movie franchise, I was pleased to see the mostly positive reviews from the film critics and although the box office receipts should not determine how good a film is, I was totally psyched to see The Dark Knight just kicking everyone's ass.  If Warner Bros. had released The Dark Knight earlier in the year, in June perhaps, then I feel it would now be the all time box office champ (yeah I really don't read too much into that whole "If you adjust for inflation" B.S. that the Gone With The Wind fans like to evoke every time a movie makes a billion dollars.)

Now a year later and having watched the movie a few more times on HBO, I still have problems with the fund raising scene, and I am not really a huge fan of the last 20 minutes, but I've noticed other things in the movie that still work and don't work.  I had the same feelings when I saw the other Batman films as well. 

In the end though, that ugly Batmobile got destroyed (HOORAY!), Rachael Dawes dies (DOUBLE HOORAY!!) and still no Robin (TRIPLE HOORAY!!!).  I am OK with that.  I am OK with the fact that I love The Dark Knight compared to only liking Batman Begins.  I am OK with the fact that The Dark Knight made a butt-load of cash at the box office.  Now, perhaps we finally can get a Green Lantern and a Wonder Woman movie.  And I am OK with the 4 inch action figures of Batman that I have been waiting for, for the last 20 years.  It's just too bad, I never bought them when I had the chance.

What I am not OK with is the ICON status Heath Leadger is now at.  I say that, because his death affected me the same way Frank Sinatra and Phil Hartman's deaths did.  It's just messed me up for awhile.  I have been a fan of Heath's ever since I saw him 10 Things I Hate About You back in 2000.  I knew he had something then and expected great things for him.  He left us with great performances that any actor would love to have listed in their future obituaries.  My sincerest hope is that all the those kids who fell in love with his Joker takes the time and actually views his other work and appreciates him for his craft and not just for one performance that earned him a well deserved Academy Award, but as a person that was talented, gifted and left us way, way too soon.

Sun, 19 Jul 2009, 22:24 #8 Last Edit: Sun, 19 Jul 2009, 22:32 by silenig
I remember what a weird season last summer was, for various reasons..

Oh, and there was The Dark Knight as well. I initially didn't care much at all, and Ledger's death on January 22th was a factor that put me off and made me want to ignore it. But then late July came, and this film pulled a Daryl Van Horn on me, as it did with many people.  ;D

Mon, 20 Jul 2009, 07:20 #9 Last Edit: Mon, 20 Jul 2009, 07:24 by The Dark Knight
I stood at the head of the anaconda line, every single person inching for that cinema to open. There was a buzz. The film they had all come to see was almost a myth. They had all heard about it for months, and the time had finally come to see it. People couldn't believe it, nor could they contain it.

Looking out across the masses, my eyes were narrowed and I was on edge. The rope was lifted, and people literally stormed that cinema lobby like crazed clowns. It was every man, woman and child for themselves. In my entire life I have not witnessed or felt that type of hysteria for a film.

The line for popcorn and drinks was a small army. People were restless, impatient and just wanted to get in to the theatre as soon as possible. As the clock ticked down to the film's commencement, people at the back of the candy bar line erupted in disgust at the slow pace of service. They stormed off- sprinting at breakneck pace from where they were, up the hallway and into the cinema. I was one of them.

The cinema was packed. There was an electric atmosphere. People were relieved they were finally seated and the wait would be lifted off their anxious minds. After what seemed like an eternity, the curtains were drawn and the lights dimmed. From the pitchest of black, a burning blue Bat emblem scorched out toward us, and the film was on.

The audience were mostly silent for the entire showing, their eyes transfixed on the screen. Almost in disbelief that they were watching this much anticipated film. However, whenever that fellow by the name of The Joker turned up, people sat up and took notice.

People began to whisper, then there was a hush. The Joker was one of the major drawcards for this film - the chance to see Ledger in one of his last performances, and he did not disappoint. Seeing this new footage of him seperate from the trailers for the first time, I was honestly blown away. He put in an electric performance. After seeing the film many a time since then, the sheen has worn off a little. But seeing him in action for the first time, and with a packed audience....wow. An instantly iconic performance.