Check out these comparisons for the blu-ray release!

Started by Grissom, Wed, 4 Mar 2009, 20:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun,  8 Mar  2009, 03:36^ TDK is a good film, don't get me wrong, but it needs to be kicked to the curb for B A T M A N
I dunno if there's a nice way to say this but that's crazy.  As in, insane.

Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 04:15 #21 Last Edit: Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 04:18 by Dark Knight Detective
^ I'm not trying to bash TDK. I enjoyed watching it in theaters, but it had its time. B A T M A N needs the spotlight for its 20th anniversary.

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun,  8 Mar  2009, 04:15^ I'm not trying to bash TDK. I enjoyed watching it in theaters, but it had its time. B A T M A N needs the spotlight for its 20th anniversary.
If you mean which of the two films WB should aggressively promote and market, that's nuts.  If you mean in the sense of a special edition DVD release... that's still pretty nuts because (A) another such release could only be redundant at this point and (B) TDK's DVD is about superficial as it gets while still being called a "sorta special edition".

By all means, bash TDK, I don't think enough people are doing that, but bashing WB for their focused marketing and promotion of TDK right now is crazy.  If I were in their shoes, I'd be doing the same thing!

I'm not bashing you here, I'm just saying...

^ I agree w/ what you're saying about WB's way of business for TDK, & I can't blame them for it.

I was talking about the attention that B A T M A N should be getting from the public. We're talking about one of the films that paved way for a modern perception of comic book films. And for people to not recognize this film's importance, esp. in the year of its anniversary, is just completely insane.

Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 10:40 #24 Last Edit: Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 10:47 by silenig
Which is the lesser of two evils?

A] The previous franchise, first lightened up with a BAD movie, and then on a a highway to hell with an ATROCIOUS one, died, and no more Batman movies for at least 20 years have passed since the last one (1997-2017). All this time, costumed characters steal the spotlight in celluloid versions and Batman is forgotten as "some nice old movies, and a few crappy ones".

EDIT: Also, imagine semi-serious sequels like the dark aspects of Forever if the badness of Batman & Robin was avoided or followed by the so-called Batman Triumphant. Movies half-interesting and half-baked, with the franchise slowly dying out of the general public's boredom, while Singer's X-Men in 2000 become the new force in comic book movies?

B] Batman is resurrected just 8 years after the last film with a very different pseudo-realistic approach that tries too hard to separate itself from camp, losing, in the way, most of its connections with Fantasy. It fits the cynical 00s however, a new movie in romantic neogothic Burton style, at this moment, would go unnoticed. The movies HAD to have this intensity. It's a hit and Batman is again a serious force in the genre. The second film is an even bigger success, and a third one is sure to follow. Yeah, the fantasy and the gothic elements are gone in favour of this pseudo-realism, the new films are heavily promoted as the "Real" version with the classic late 80s/early 90s films being neglected, not to mention the existence of legions of buffons that bash the Burton films in favour of the so-called "proper" take, while one can appreciate something without bashing something different... whatever.

But, we get new Batman movies, and I'm one of those that are pretty sure there will be fantasy Batman movies in the future. This character will not be done when Nolan moves on after a third one, and the classic films are not going to be deleted, destroyed or anything. They will stil be around.

Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 14:23 #25 Last Edit: Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 17:52 by Dark Knight Detective
From what I've observed, some elements of fictionalism were put into TDK.

For example, there's TDK's use of Two-Face. In the real world, he's likely to catch infections w/ the burnt side of his face exposed.

Perhaps this is one of the signs that tells the audience that the Nolan films are trying to lift themselves up from the ground as being films that are "realistic", & are trying to go into a direction that has both realism & fictionalism  (the way Batman's universe should be).

You know...come to think of it, I wonder if a re screening of B A T M A N would hurt WB in any way... nor the Dark Knight film. ..hmmm..

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."