Batman: The Cult

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 1 May 2013, 21:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Probably the most influential comic on The Dark Knight Rises and yet, the least talked about online.  When reading it, I couldn't help but hear Zimmer's Bane music as Deacon Blackfire took over Gotham and Batman lead the assault to take back the city at the end.

Discuss the comic here!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

You can definitely see the influence of The Dark Knight Returns on this book. Particularly the use of talking head TV reports to show the public reactions to what's happening. It's also the only Post-Crisis story where Jason Todd's Robin really gets to shine, tying in with Batman's line in TDKR about him being a "good soldier". In this story at least, Jason is an excellent soldier. He goes above and beyond to save Batman and the rest of Gotham City.

And Deacon Blackfire is one of the most chilling adversaries Batman's ever faced. I'm glad DC hasn't resurrected him (not counting his appearance during Blackest Night) and turned him into a recurring villain. He's best remembered as one of those rare one-off villains that Batman was barely able to defeat the first time around. Bringing him back now would diminish his status in my eyes.

This book's also notable for exemplifying the Pre-Zero Hour Batman's predilection for guns and killing. You can't tell me Batman doesn't kill anyone in this story. There's the scene where he demolishes several buildings to kill the rooftop snipers armed with bazookas.

And towards the end of the story Batman and Robin engage in some close-quarters combat in the tunnels beneath Gotham. Yes, they're firing tranquiliser darts. But they're also lobbing explosives all over the place. And then there's the final showdown against Blackfire where Batman essentially cripples the guy and lets his followers tear him to pieces. I think Batman's killing and use of guns is one of the reasons this book's canonicity has wavered over the years. Even now, I'm not sure if it's considered apocryphal or not.

Either way, it's one of the darkest and most memorable Batman stories of the eighties. I'm surprised more people haven't read it.

I have the 4 books here and have been meaning to re-read it for ages (since you guys first mentioned it)

I think it would be cool to focus on a graphic novel/storyline a month (or fortnight depending) across the site and social networks to help build up info on the site and gallery

eg. http://www.batman-online.com/gallery/Comics/Batman-The-Cult_1988

May could be month of "The Cult"

Indeed.  Plus if Silver and I complete our revisions on the Dark Knight Rises Comic Book Influences feature, we'll be promoting it as the main storyline influence on The Dark Knight Rises.

QuoteIt's also the only Post-Crisis story where Jason Todd's Robin really gets to shine, tying in with Batman's line in TDKR about him being a "good soldier".
True, not to mention this could be the first version of the tank Batmobile from TDKR, with The Cult storyline providing the "riots" that required such a suped-up vehicle in the first place.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu,  2 May  2013, 19:04Indeed.  Plus if Silver and I complete our revisions on the Dark Knight Rises Comic Book Influences feature, we'll be promoting it as the main storyline influence on The Dark Knight Rises.
It's your feature but for whatever my opinion is worth, I think that's the right move to make.

QuoteI have the 4 books here and have been meaning to re-read it for ages (since you guys first mentioned it)

I think it would be cool to focus on a graphic novel/storyline a month (or fortnight depending) across the site and social networks to help build up info on the site and gallery

eg. http://www.batman-online.com/gallery/Comics/Batman-The-Cult_1988

May could be month of "The Cult"

That's a great idea, ral. Like a Batman book-of-the-month club! I haven't read The Cult in years, so this'll give me an excuse to revisit it properly. Hopefully other site members will buy a copy or rent one from their local library so they can participate in the discussion.

QuoteTrue, not to mention this could be the first version of the tank Batmobile from TDKR, with The Cult storyline providing the "riots" that required such a suped-up vehicle in the first place.

I wondered if that was what Jim Starlin was getting at with the final chapter. I certainly find it easier to believe The Cult takes place in the same timeline as The Dark Knight Returns than Batman: Year One. It's of that same eighties vintage, with a similarly brutal and ultra-bleak atmosphere.

I also wondered if the Batman: The Animated Series episode 'The Underdwellers' might have been inspired by The Cult. I never liked it much, but it strikes me as being sort of a PG kid-friendly version of The Cult.

Definitely have to tell Mr Starlin that we are showcasing his book!

The Cult is an outstanding book. I prefer it to Knightfall.

We've updated The Dark Knight Rises comic book influences feature, with a ton of connections to The Cult:
http://www.batman-online.com/features/2012/7/29/comic-influences-on-the-dark-knight-rises