Theatrical Showings

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 03:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Total side note. But that Funhouse Of Fear Batmobile looks like the Furst car had a wild night with the Barris car.

It totally does, which goes to show the dominant influence the sixties TV show had on mainstream Batman media right up until the release of the Burton movies. I didn't find out until fairly recently that Funhouse of Fear was also issued as an audio book. I didn't have that as a kid. I just had the book itself. But the audio version in available on YouTube. Check out the theme music at the beginning. It references the Neal Hefti theme and sounds just like Prince's Batdance.

I can't find any info on who read this audio book, but it sounds a lot like William Hootkins who played Eckhardt in B89. Whoever it is, the person voicing Batman is clearly channelling West.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 28 Dec  2022, 20:12The only ones I haven't seen theatrical screenings of are B66 and B89.

Yesterday I attended a theatrical screening of Walter Hill's The Warriors (1979), which was one of my favourite movies when I was a teenager. Now I have a ticket booked for a theatrical screening of another classic film tomorrow night: Batman: The Movie! I'm finally going to see Batman fight the exploding shark on the big screen!

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 22 Jul  2024, 22:07
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 28 Dec  2022, 20:12The only ones I haven't seen theatrical screenings of are B66 and B89.

Yesterday I attended a theatrical screening of Walter Hill's The Warriors (1979), which was one of my favourite movies when I was a teenager. Now I have a ticket booked for a theatrical screening of another classic film tomorrow night: Batman: The Movie! I'm finally going to see Batman fight the exploding shark on the big screen!

Please report on how the audience reacts to West's reaction to Batman learning Catwoman's true identity. Have fun!

Quote from: Kamdan on Tue, 23 Jul  2024, 10:09

Please report on how the audience reacts to West's reaction to Batman learning Catwoman's true identity. Have fun!

Laughter, followed by compassionate silence for the Dark Knight's broken heart. There weren't many people at the screening – fewer than a dozen – but the audience were laughing throughout the film. The biggest laughs were during the bomb scene. The 'C for Catwoman' line got a huge laugh as well. It was great seeing it with other fans. I love this movie so much. It's pure joy from start to finish.

Whenever I see a familiar film on the big screen I always spot little details I've not noticed before, and there were a couple of things that caught my eye at this screening. Firstly, when Batman and Robin first board the Bat-boat and speed away from the shore if you look at the top of the screen you can see the rotor of the helicopter on which the camera is mounted.

Secondly, when the heroes are reviewing the data on escaped super criminals in Gordon's office the picture of Catwoman shows her standing in the library at stately Wayne Manor, whereas the other villains are all shown posing in front of a different backdrop.

Meriwether ranks alongside Pfeiffer for sheer beauty. She's a great Catwoman. Definitely among my top three.

Seeing the film on the big screen was a terrific experience. The movie holds up as one of the greatest comedies of the sixties. Now I just need to see Batman '89 on the big screen.

Next month my theatre's hosting an eighties movie season that'll include screenings of RoboCop, Predator and Beverly Hills Cop. All the Spider-Man films are getting re-released as well, but I'm not too bothered about those. But seeing RoboCop and Predator on the big screen? Hell yes!

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 23 Jul  2024, 22:11Next month my theatre's hosting an eighties movie season that'll include screenings of RoboCop, Predator and Beverly Hills Cop. All the Spider-Man films are getting re-released as well, but I'm not too bothered about those. But seeing RoboCop and Predator on the big screen? Hell yes!
At one point, we had a theater uptown that would show midnight movies. Usually (but not always) deep cuts, rarities or films with cult followings. Rocky Horror obviously, B89, STM, The Big Lebowski, The Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. There was also Tommy Wiseau's The Room, which was the most raucous movie screening I've ever been to.

The REAL selling point was that they were shown on old school film prints. So, you basically saw and heard what audiences saw and heard (more or less) in their original releases in theaters.

Probably one of the best experiences I had was a screening of Predator. In the end, the organizers had no choice but to run the film again the following month (the next available opening) because demand was MUCH higher than they originally expected.

And yes, watching the movie on a big screen is a great experience.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 23 Jul  2024, 22:11Meriwether ranks alongside Pfeiffer for sheer beauty. She's a great Catwoman. Definitely among my top three.

Oh, for sure!

QuoteSeeing the film on the big screen was a terrific experience. The movie holds up as one of the greatest comedies of the sixties. Now I just need to see Batman '89 on the big screen.

Good to hear you had a good experience, Silver. I took my opportunity to check out this gem in a theater setting back in 2016 when my local theater, surprisingly, listed two showings for "Batman: The Movie" just a week prior to "Batman v Superman". Like you, there weren't many people, and I remember the movie starting late, but it was a pleasant matinee experience and a treat to see such a movie on the silver screen for a change.

QuoteNext month my theatre's hosting an eighties movie season that'll include screenings of RoboCop, Predator and Beverly Hills Cop. All the Spider-Man films are getting re-released as well, but I'm not too bothered about those. But seeing RoboCop and Predator on the big screen? Hell yes!

Who's green with envy? This guy!  :D  :D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 23 Jul  2024, 22:11
Quote from: Kamdan on Tue, 23 Jul  2024, 10:09

Laughter, followed by compassionate silence for the Dark Knight's broken heart. There weren't many people at the screening – fewer than a dozen – but the audience were laughing throughout the film. The biggest laughs were during the bomb scene. The 'C for Catwoman' line got a huge laugh as well. It was great seeing it with other fans. I love this movie so much. It's pure joy from start to finish.

Whenever I see a familiar film on the big screen I always spot little details I've not noticed before, and there were a couple of things that caught my eye at this screening. Firstly, when Batman and Robin first board the Bat-boat and speed away from the shore if you look at the top of the screen you can see the rotor of the helicopter on which the camera is mounted.

Secondly, when the heroes are reviewing the data on escaped super criminals in Gordon's office the picture of Catwoman shows her standing in the library at stately Wayne Manor, whereas the other villains are all shown posing in front of a different backdrop.

Meriwether ranks alongside Pfeiffer for sheer beauty. She's a great Catwoman. Definitely among my top three.

Seeing the film on the big screen was a terrific experience. The movie holds up as one of the greatest comedies of the sixties. Now I just need to see Batman '89 on the big screen.

Next month my theatre's hosting an eighties movie season that'll include screenings of RoboCop, Predator and Beverly Hills Cop. All the Spider-Man films are getting re-released as well, but I'm not too bothered about those. But seeing RoboCop and Predator on the big screen? Hell yes!

Thank you very much for reporting back. I definitely wouldn't pass up an opportunity to see this one if I could but I always wondered how the audience would react to that scene. Something like this could easily get too rowdy but that is such a layered and poignant moment that it could be ruined with too much laugher. I saw The NeverEnding Story and someone behind me kept giggling when the oracles were on screen. They were also ruining the emotional crux of the whole thing when the Empresses is pleading to Bastian to give her a name. I had to shush them to not ruin it any further.

Not sure if you were aware, but the screengrabs of the villains were taken from the trailer. Good eye on noticing Catwoman was in Wayne Manor while the others were in front of the United Underworld logo.

Meriwether was certainly great for this incarnation of the character that was deceiving Bruce Wayne. I believe this one of the first times this Dating Catwoman trope was played out. Newmar definitely would have been different. She would have towered in stature over the rest of the villains, even the 6'3 Romeo as Joker. Meriwether returned as love interest for Bruce Wayne who gets kidnapped by King Tut in a second season episode. The chemistry between her and West makes me wish that she had a recurring role as Julie Madison.

Quote from: Kamdan on Wed, 24 Jul  2024, 00:59Thank you very much for reporting back. I definitely wouldn't pass up an opportunity to see this one if I could but I always wondered how the audience would react to that scene. Something like this could easily get too rowdy but that is such a layered and poignant moment that it could be ruined with too much laugher. I saw The NeverEnding Story and someone behind me kept giggling when the oracles were on screen. They were also ruining the emotional crux of the whole thing when the Empresses is pleading to Bastian to give her a name. I had to shush them to not ruin it any further.

I'm sorry people spoilt your enjoyment of the movie. Still, it must've been fun seeing The Neverending Story in a theatre. Normally you get an older and less disruptive class of cinemagoer when you see rereleases of old films. They tend to draw in serious film buffs, while the troublemakers typically gravitate towards the newer films. At least that's been my experience.

Quote from: Kamdan on Wed, 24 Jul  2024, 00:59Not sure if you were aware, but the screengrabs of the villains were taken from the trailer. Good eye on noticing Catwoman was in Wayne Manor while the others were in front of the United Underworld logo.

Good catch on the trailer stills. I haven't seen the trailer in years, so I can't remember if I'd spotted that before. I wonder why Catwoman's picture was different.