Never seen this photo before

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 03:05

Previous topic - Next topic
89 is still the gold standard to lighting a Batman film

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 20 Mar  2022, 22:23
Other Batman films may be technically better in areas, but B89 has an unforgettable iconic power that is hard to replicate. Burton really knew the power of image and sound, with the descent into mystery and cathedral finale being two key examples. In terms of lighting, it's hard to go past Batman inside the cave with Vicki. Atmospherically it's perfect. Batman in close proximity but shrouded in darkness with a low whisper voice. A lot from that era still stands the test of time.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 20 Mar  2022, 22:23
While I don't entirely agree with that, this is still an interesting point.

And that's gotten me to thinking. B89 was shot by Roger Pratt while BR was shot by Stefan Czapsky. I've wondered if one reason BR looks so separated from B89 is because of the change in cinematographer. While I adore BR, I do miss the shadow and mood of B89. The scene with Batman and Vicki in the Batcave where the secret of the Joker's poison is revealed is swallowed in darkness and I wish BR had a similar atmosphere going for it.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 21 Mar  2022, 02:24While I don't entirely agree with that, this is still an interesting point.
Other eras have merit. But after seeing The Batman four times in cinemas I feel comfortable enough to say it's the best shot film in the franchise. Greig Fraser has indicated he'd return for the sequels if asked - and I don't see why he wouldn't be. This Gotham doesn't just look scary and atmospheric, but feels lived in and alive. Having all the supporting characters like Penguin, Falcone, Gordon, Selina and the like also helped amplify Fraser's cause.

Thu, 24 Mar 2022, 06:45 #14 Last Edit: Thu, 24 Mar 2022, 06:46 by The Joker
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 20 Mar  2022, 12:56

Nice photo. Thanks for posting.

Going purely off the expression on Nicholson's face, they might be looking at dailies. To which this image reminds me of a comment Jack made on the SE documentaries, where he mentioned that he really wasn't a fan of viewing film dailies due to, from there on out, being cognizant of what he saw, and thus possibly affecting his performance in the film. However, with Batman, Jack stated that the crew were pretty adamant that he see the dailies due to how unique the film was coming across, and it was at that point, Jack reminisced, he didn't think, he knew this was going to be huge. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Michael Uslan has been posting photos taken behind the scenes on Twitter in anticipation for B89's 35th anniversary. I thought this thread is a good place to share them because nearly all of these I've never seen before.

Here are four photos of Nicholson and Keaton having make-up applied to their faces. I believe the man at work is Nick Dudman.

The late Anton Furst appears in this photo collage, you can see him overlooking Keaton in costume while shooting a scene with the Batmobile.

The Batwing model. I didn't realise it was that big.

The 200th Gotham anniversary parade set. Judging by the depth of this photograph, this might be a miniature set.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Uslan also posted this:

QuoteHoly Moley! How many of these petitions did I get sent or copied on back in 1988-1989?! (They ceased overnight on June 23, 1989.)

https://x.com/MichaelUslan/status/1779575561393959028
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

^ That illustration of Batkeats from the petition is just too good not to be someone's avatar one day.  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."