Planet Hulk

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 28 Dec 2020, 03:28

Previous topic - Next topic
I saw this animated film over the weekend, it was made in 2010 based on the comic storyline of the same name. For those who don't know the story, it's about the Hulk getting sent to the planet of Sakaar because he was deemed too dangerous to live on Earth, and immediately finds himself forced to fight to the death as a gladiator.

As far as Marvel animations go, I thought it was surprisingly decent. The animation could've been a little bit more polished sometimes, but it definitely was better than most of Marvel productions at the time, and it certainly helps when they got the likes of DC veterans such as Frank Paur and Sam Liu to oversee the film.

The story is predictable, but the character development is pretty good. Hulk is initially selfish but understandably uninterested in the group of gladiators he's surrounded with, due to his bitterness towards the Avengers and the human race for abandoning him. But his defiance towards the Red King slowly encourages the rest of his group to be braver and confident in battle. Particularly in this case the insect-like character Miek, an obvious play on the word meek, going from cowardly to daring in combat later on in the plot. Korg is not the MCU clown that mainstream audiences have become familiar with, but rather the jaded conqueror who was forced to kill his own fellow brothers in one of the battles at the Colosseum.

It's quite fitting that Hulk, a character with destructive rage, could be the saviour who ended such tyranny on another chaotic planet. In this case, it really was the best thing that happened to him. I'd be curious to read the original comics and compare any differences between this and the film.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I remember reading the Planet Hulk story line when it originally ran (2007-ish?), and it was heralded as one of the best Incredible Hulk story arcs of all time by many of the readers. Unfortunately, I don't think I've re-read Planet Hulk since it was being published, so I can't remember specific details.

Admittedly, it's kinda surprising there wasn't more of a vocal outcry when the Planet Hulk story line was just wasted by being tacked on into a 3rd MCU Thor film, while stripping it down considerably, but at least Ragnarok was funny. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri,  1 Jan  2021, 21:19
I remember reading the Planet Hulk story line when it originally ran (2007-ish?), and it was heralded as one of the best Incredible Hulk story arcs of all time by many of the readers. Unfortunately, I don't think I've re-read Planet Hulk since it was being published, so I can't remember specific details.

Admittedly, it's kinda surprising there wasn't more of a vocal outcry when the Planet Hulk story line was just wasted by being tacked on into a 3rd MCU Thor film, while stripping it down considerably, but at least Ragnarok was funny. 

Let's face it, the MCU nowadays has reached total mainstream approval that they can get away with anything. I bet there are frustrated Hulk fans who don't enjoy seeing their favourite character reduced to comic relief, but their outcry is drowned out by mass audiences.

I've seen only bits and pieces of Thor Ragnarok and thought it wasn't worth watching the whole film. The comedy in the MCU today is complete rubbish and unbearable. But I have to begrudgingly admit that Marvel/Disney knows what sells. If a faithful film adaptation of Planet Hulk that is darker in tone would not sell very well, definitely not with the "fun" brand that the MCU has built today. Too bad though, because I'd take this animated adaptation of Planet Hulk than Ruffalo's Hulk doing any day. And to think that there were rumours that Ruffalo was going to star in a live-action Planet Hulk film six or seven years ago.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei