Iron Man 3

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 26 Oct 2012, 18:20

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteI *loved* the Mandarin's twist.  Loved it.  Even the humor.  As others have suggested, this is a dated/racist and ridiculous character, and the 21st century context (this is the face of terror, corporate war-producing capitalism is the actual puppeteer) felt right at home.  Actually wrote a blog with some comparisons between TDKR and IM3--if you're interested, would love to hear feedback.  No pressure, though.
http://www.biowars.com/blog/the-post-911-politics-of-cinematic-superheroes/#
Good article Gregg.  But aren't most superheroes 'Randian' by their very definition (see 'The Incredibles' for an explicit take on this notion)?  At least 'Batman Returns' is relatively unique among comic-book movies in actually challenging the merits of an 'exceptional' lone hero acting in the ordinary folks' 'interests'.

By the way, what is your view of the politics of 'Man of Steel' (assuming you have now seen the film)?  Whatever one might feel about the film's overall strengths and failings, and there are certainly many flaws, I do think the film had a by and large fairly progressive message, or at least implied stance, with respect to xenophobia, the US, and by extension, the western world's, capacity to embrace immigrants and foreign, 'alien' cultures, and the use of surveillance against such outsider groups.

Also, I don't think your 'B' grade for 'IM3' was harsh.  It sounded about right in view of your overall review.  I gave the film a borderline 'B+' because I don't think my feelings are quite as strong as yours towards the 15% or so of the film (i.e. the third act fight sequence) that didn't work so well.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Also wrote a blog on that. :)  Unfortunately, it gives us the cinematic post-9/11 versionof what the 'American Way' means--dispense with your enemies at any cost, ignore due process, and expect collateral damage. 

Though, I think my brother wrote a superior response to mine, posted here:
http://www.biowars.com/blog/dont-tug-supermans-cape-nostalgia-and-our-haunted-heroes/

I should quickly add, though, much of Man of Steel works for me.  I wish they spent more time developing the characters, and less time on special effects (especially the WAY too over the top third act, and J. Kent's goofy death), it was certainly a massive improvement over the 2006 film, and laid the groundwork for what could be a vastly superior sequel.  I have some hopes for MoS 2.  Terrific cast, groundwork for the series laid down.  I want to see Luthor, Clark Kent--reporter, and kryptonite.  The ingredients are there, so here's hoping they pull back on the war-imagery they seem obsessed with (even TDKR is more a war film and less a superhero flick).

Quote from: greggbray on Tue,  2 Jul  2013, 20:12
Also wrote a blog on that. :)  Unfortunately, it gives us the cinematic post-9/11 versionof what the 'American Way' means--dispense with your enemies at any cost, ignore due process, and expect collateral damage. 

Though, I think my brother wrote a superior response to mine, posted here:
http://www.biowars.com/blog/dont-tug-supermans-cape-nostalgia-and-our-haunted-heroes/
I take great issue with the callous manner in which thousands of innocent civilians are presumably killed during Superman's fight with Zod and the other evil Kryptonians especially since he could easily have averted at least some of the collateral damage by trying to take his one-on-one battle elsewhere instead of hanging around in Smallville.

However, I don't think this flaw is necessarily indicative of a particular political mindset, and it's not as if due process is much of a consideration when it comes to any other super-hero movie.  All super-heroes by their definition seem to be vigilantes and rugged individualists (hence by earlier reference to their Randian nature) with little time for the niceties of the right to a fair trial or many other human rights (or whatever one might call their intergalactic equivalent in Superman's case).

If the collateral damage and desire to defeat one's enemy at all costs does represent a political mindset it seems like a rather board and not particularly unique one, which is why I think the film's emphasis on the theme of trust and whether an outsider/foreign (i.e. alien) culture can truly be tolerated or even embraced in a (perhaps understandably) fearful society is more indicative of this film's standpoint, particularly in contrast to earlier Superman films in which an unequivocally patriotic Superman was openly adored and championed by his adopted world whilst he unashamedly carried the Stars and Stripes Flag aloft.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Being that I didn't want to place this in one of the "Avengers" threads, I chose this thread.

FLASHBACK 1997:

Wizard Magazine casts "Iron Man".

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."