The Star Trek Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 14 Nov 2020, 15:20

Previous topic - Next topic
It's time to return to Genesis. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is getting a 40th anniversary theatrical rerelease on June 14th. A new poster has been created by artist Matt Ferguson.

Here's the quad poster for UK cinemas.

I'm definitely going to catch a screening. I've always liked The Search for Spock, ever since I first saw it on TV back in the early nineties. Hopefully this rerelease will encourage more sci-fi enthusiasts and cinephiles to give it another chance. It's badly underrated IMO.

I wonder if this means we'll be getting a theatrical rerelease of The Voyage Home in 2026.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 22 May  2024, 17:47It's time to return to Genesis. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is getting a 40th anniversary theatrical rerelease on June 14th. A new poster has been created by artist Matt Ferguson.

Here's the quad poster for UK cinemas.

I'm definitely going to catch a screening. I've always liked The Search for Spock, ever since I first saw it on TV back in the early nineties. Hopefully this rerelease will encourage more sci-fi enthusiasts and cinephiles to give it another chance. It's badly underrated IMO.

I wonder if this means we'll be getting a theatrical rerelease of The Voyage Home in 2026.

So far, there have only been indications of the UK getting this theatrical rerelease and none of the kind for an American release. I do hope that changes because this is my favorite of the trilogy of Star Trek films. There have been numerous rereleases of Wrath of Khan over the years and there was an opportunity to see Voyage Home back in 2021 in theaters, but to my knowledge, that hasn't been the case for Search for Spock.

I just saw The Search for Spock on the big screen and I loved it. It was great seeing it with an audience. I'm now convinced that it's the most underrated Star Trek movie. How does it only have a 6.6 rating on the IMDb and a 66% user rating on RT? I don't think it's as great as The Wrath of Khan, but it's still a terrific sci-fi adventure film and has aged extraordinarily well. Interestingly, when I looked up its overall RT score earlier today it was at 78%. In the last few hours a positive review has been added and the rating has gone up to 79%.

Hopefully it'll get a theatrical re-release in the States so more of you can see it. And hopefully the other classic Trek films will also get re-releases for their anniversaries.

Fri, 14 Jun 2024, 21:58 #33 Last Edit: Sat, 15 Jun 2024, 19:04 by thecolorsblend
I get the idea that TSFS suffers for following TWOK. On its own merits, TSFS is a great Trek film. The characters somewhat fawn over Spock (which I try not attribute to who directed TSFS), which sometimes gets to be a bit much.

But aside from that, TSFS is very enjoyable.

The problem, of course, is that it follows TWOK. And there are times where I wonder if TWOK's legend has come at the detriment of the other TOS Trek films.

Prosecution's Exhibit A: The Motion Picture is a FAR better film than its reputation would suggest.

Maybe I'm all alone on this one. But there are times where I wish there was a Smallville movie or a Dexter movie or that BTAS's Heart Of Ice was a movie instead of a twenty some odd minute episode. Some episodes of those shows are so good that they would've possibly benefited from being expanded out into feature-length.

Well, The Motion Picture is basically a REALLY long episode of TOS. There's not a central villain, per sé, and the conflicts of the film are primarily philosophical rather than physical. Which isn't foreign territory for TOS in more cases than people seem to remember these days.

For me, the fact TMP is a protracted TOS episode is the whole appeal, frankly.

And while TMP does seem to be gradually attracting an audience, people still point (fairly or unfairly) to TWOK's reputation as a course correction for the franchise as proof that TMP has no merit to it.

I love TWOK. But I do think TWOK's awesomeness shouldn't be detrimental to the other films. But to hear the casuals tell it, TWOK is the only Trek film anybody needs to see. And it's simply not true!

Agreed on all counts.

The cliché about every odd numbered Trek film being bad was never true. Of the original six, only The Final Frontier is bad. And it's not so bad that it's unwatchable. The only other film franchise I can think of with the same number of sequels and a comparable good:bad ratio would be Rocky. The TOS-era Trek films and pre-Creed Rocky movies both have six instalments, and all of them are good except the fifth one. And even the fifth entry in both franchises is still a fun watchable movie. Both series ended on a high note with their sixth instalments. If I had to be marooned on a desert island and I could only pick two film franchises to take with me to stave off the madness of isolation, I might well choose Rocky I-VI and Trek I-VI.

I sense that appreciation for The Motion Picture is steadily growing, but it's still criminally underrated. It's got a 6.4 rating on the IMDb and a 42% user rating on RT. I mean, come on – Jar Jar Abrams' Into Darkness has a 7.7 IMDb rating. I refuse to believe that movie is more popular than TMP. It's certainly nowhere near as good.

You're right about the plot of TMP evoking an episode of classic Trek. That probably stems from the script being adapted from the pilot episode of Roddenberry's Star Trek: Phase II series, and the storyline being heavily indebted to the second season TOS episode 'The Changeling'. It's idea-driven, like most good sci-fi, and it credits the viewer with having enough intelligence to keep up with those ideas. It's also visually stunning, with beautiful production design and special effects, not to mention a superb score by Jerry Goldsmith. Like The Search for Spock, TMP has aged very well. It holds up. Can the same be said for Into Darkness?

Another noteworthy quality of TMP is that it's the only feature film to fully reflect Gene Roddenberry's vision for what he intended Trek to be. The first two seasons of The Next Generation also reflect Roddenberry's vision, whereas all the other Star Trek movies and TV shows were heavily affected by other people's input (which was generally a good thing, at least until the Kelvin timeline began). But for better or worse, TMP is very much Roddenberry's Trek. It's the only movie that fully embraces his non-militaristic concept of Starfleet.

Going back to TSFS, I noticed something during the theatrical screening that I'd never fully registered until now. It's the look on Kirk's face after he shoots the Klingon on Genesis. Nimoy could've cut straight from the shot of the Klingon being blasted to the shot of Kirk and co running over to join Spock and Saavik. Instead he cuts back to Kirk's reaction after the Klingon dies. Kirk pauses, just for an instant, and there's a subtle look of calm satisfaction on his face.

The Klingon he shoots here is the same Klingon who stabbed David to death, and Kirk must've known this. There was another Klingon accompanying him, but Spock had already brained that guy by hurling him headfirst onto a rock. The Klingon Kirk shoots is the only survivor from the landing party that murdered his son. It's a subtle touch, but that look on Kirk's face after he shoots him is, I think, recognition of the fact he's just avenged David. At least that's what I think Nimoy was going for when he edited the scene that way. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Either way, it's a satisfying moment of payback for what the Klingons did to Kirk's son.