So watched Batman this past Saturday....

Started by Grissom, Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 14:22

Previous topic - Next topic
...and I gotta say it's still one hell of a picture!After over 26 years it's still fantastic, moving and powerful!

That is all.   8)

I agree. This movie made me really interested in Batman as a whole and even in movies in general when I first saw it, it was an awesome experience and still is.

Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 20:39 #3 Last Edit: Tue, 16 Feb 2016, 01:28 by Wayne49
I will always have tremendous respect for Batman because the film had to take that next step in the superhero mythos as it pertains to a theatrical moment and make it work for generations of fans. Up until then Superman the Movie was the standard (and still is a masterful film). But Batman couldn't get his business done in tights. He had to be more than the sum total of what had been made in both film and television. Up to this point, the most popular Batman had been Adam West, and no one wanted Adam West for a serious venture.

Burton and Keaton took this idea and really created the next plateau for the genre to ride on (and still do to this day). They made Batman into this character that even today very closely resembles those original ideas. But they did it from scratch and gave the Batman his own sense of self. His own charisma and mystery. Even more so, gave him his own soundtrack and hero theme. It was a glorious moment to be a Batman fan and I will always tip my hat at the immense greatness that this film exhibited in overcoming so many odds and so many upheavals to give birth to this classic treatment that we all take for granted today. It shall always be a classic (and original) film.

Well said, Wayne49, it's a true classic and one of the grandfathers' of the superhero genre (Superman '78 being the other, IMO). It was a hard film to make but everyone did a marvellous job and let's not forget Michael Uslan who stuck through thick and thin for ten years to get this made.

Cheers!!