Tim Burton Movies Listed in Order of Greatness (Metro - UK Paper)

Started by johnnygobbs, Tue, 23 Dec 2014, 07:30

Previous topic - Next topic
http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/22/16-tim-burton-movies-ranked-in-order-of-greatness-4996397/

According to the article:

Quote#1. Batman

Arguably the best Batman movie ever made, Tim Burton's Batman might not be the most faithful adaptation of the Dark Knight's adventures, but it's a brilliant comic book movie that balances dark and fun perfectly.

Michael Keaton is a great Batman, Jack Nicholson is sublime as The Joker and the movie has a superb soundtrack by the odd-but-brilliant Prince.

When first released in 1989, it was thought to be too dark, but through 2014 eyes Batman is like a big screen version of the Adam West TV show – which is all part of its charm.

Quote#7. Batman Returns

Burton's sequel to 1989's fantastic Batman is a mixed affair. On one hand, it delves into the real character of Bruce Wayne and deals with difficult topics such as abandonment. On the other hand, it's far too 'Burton' for its own good.

In essence, 1989's Batman is Tim Burton directing a studio movie about Batman, while Batman Returns is Tim Burton directing a Tim Burton movie that happens to have Batman in it.

I love that a London newspaper with a high circulation has recognised Tim Burton's first Batman film as "arguably the best Batman movie ever made".
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Altough BR is too low, I like the ranking of Mars Attacks and Batman.  :)

Batman Returns is my favorite Batman movie. I think Burton's ideas fit Batman's world perfectly. Returns and '89 in that order are my favorite Burton movies too.

Merry Christmas Batman fans. Good will toward men...and women.

Wow! I wholeheartedly agree with them here. I actually thought it was more common to place Returns ahead of Batman, but here we have Batman at number one... where it belongs (in Dick Grayson voice).

The argument for "too dark" seems to have thankfully passed with time. People seem to finally get it. Furthermore, the theme perfectly complements the subject matter, which is the early adventures of Batman. Not that faithfulness to source material makes a movie, but I'm glad the original gets props for all that went into it.

As much as I'll defend Batman Returns, I do agree with their criticism. Though I appreciate it for all of its quirkiness.

The thing is, it seems that people are re-evaluating B89 due to the current trends in comic book cinema. Marvel is reigning supreme with their adherence to comic book style... and with Nolan's film series over, the shadow it cast over comic films and other Bat films is lifting, to some degree. People are coming back to '89 and finding its charm all over again.

I think were DC's movies the only game in town, people wouldn't be so Burton-positive lately. DC's newer movies are too steeped in "we're ashamed of our comic heritage" to benefit the source medium. But Marvel's output is a celebration of all that funnybook nonsense.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I'm glad to see that there are people (outside this forum) who still regard B89 that highly.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Thu, 25 Dec  2014, 18:20
The thing is, it seems that people are re-evaluating B89 due to the current trends in comic book cinema. Marvel is reigning supreme with their adherence to comic book style... and with Nolan's film series over, the shadow it cast over comic films and other Bat films is lifting, to some degree. People are coming back to '89 and finding its charm all over again.

I think were DC's movies the only game in town, people wouldn't be so Burton-positive lately. DC's newer movies are too steeped in "we're ashamed of our comic heritage" to benefit the source medium. But Marvel's output is a celebration of all that funnybook nonsense.

I might be wrong, but I think there are two possible things why people are revisiting B89 so positively as of late. Marvel's success of embracing the comic book spirit is having an influence because like the best Marvel movies, B89 has a balanced approach between humour and drama. And secondly, I've noticed that people are really hyping up Michael Keaton's performance in the upcoming Birdman to the point that they're giving him an appraisal for the Burton films. It makes me wonder how good Keaton is in Birdman if it's changing people's perception of his Batman role.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Fair article, but:

QuoteWhen first released in 1989, it was thought to be too dark, but through 2014 eyes Batman is like a big screen version of the Adam West TV show – which is all part of its charm.
I hate this sentiment, and it's one that unfortunately seems to be gaining traction. I like the West show, but inherent in the type of camp that that show aimed for is an attitude of self-awareness and acting above the material. Burton's approach to Batman was neither.

That, and my own list for Burton's films is nothing like this one. Sweeney Todd as second-to-last? Please.

Batman 1989 is not like the Adam West show, they couldn't be any more different, but I guess the trend to discredit Tim Burton's films and give praise to the "realistic" Nolan films is too strong.  >:(

I must've read over that part. While I'm not sure exactly what sense the author was making the comparison, in most cases, Batman and Batman: The Movie are (quite literally) night and day.

Now I've read the first sentence about it being the best Batman movie ever made. It seems rather strange to me for them to say that and then to compare it to the Adam West show  :-\, which was fun, but that show was a parody and not a definitive adaptation of the Batman universe, and as stated before, the two have very little in common.