which comic hero most deserves a solo movie?

Started by riddler, Sun, 2 Feb 2014, 12:43

Previous topic - Next topic

comic character most deserving of a solo film

luke cage
0 (0%)
nightwing
1 (16.7%)
black panther
0 (0%)
aquaman
0 (0%)
deadpool
0 (0%)
human torch
0 (0%)
the flash
3 (50%)
the green arrow
1 (16.7%)
Hawkgirl
0 (0%)
Cyborg
0 (0%)
Quicksilver
0 (0%)
wonder woman
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: Fri, 2 Feb 2024, 12:43

Not including ones where solo films have been made or green lighted (Venom, Ant Man).

Which comic book hero should be next to make their big screen debut?

The Flash could make for a very good movie, if done well. Green Lantern could as well, if not directed by Martin Campbell and played by Ryan Reynolds. I'm hoping they get Wonder Woman right in BvS.

The Barry Allen Flash should've had his own movie years ago. He's the obvious choice. He's got an iconic and instantly recognisable costume, a great superpower that can be utilised in numerous imaginative ways, a solid group of supporting characters, a fantastic line-up of villains, and plenty of epic story arcs that could be adapted from the comics. We've already seen that the Flash can work, both in live action and animated forms. We've just never seen him work on the big screen. If any studio other than Warner Bros had the rights to the character, we would have seen several movies by now. But as long as WB hold the rights, the only way we're going to see him on the big screen is as a supporting character in a Superman or Batman film.

I'd make two Flash movies back to back. The first would be heavily influenced by the Silver Age stories, especially 'Mystery of the Human Thunderbolt!' (Showcase #4, October 1956) and 'Flash of Two Worlds!' (The Flash #123, September 1961), as well as Geoff Johns' The Flash: Rebirth (2009-10) miniseries. The main villain would be Eobard Thawne/Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom, with several other rogues appearing in smaller roles. I'd have Jay Garrick and Iris West play important supporting roles, and time travel would feature heavily in the plot.

For the second movie I'd look to the Bronze Age, and specifically the 'Trial of the Flash' storyline that was published in the run-up to Crisis on Infinite Earths. I'd reorganise events slightly so that Zoom doesn't actually kill Iris West, but rather attempts to kill her on her and Barry's wedding day, just as he attempted to kill Fiona Webb in the comics. Barry is forced to kill Zoom and the resultant explosion of negative and positive Speed Force energy transforms Wally West – who is a guest at the wedding – into Kid Flash.

The other rogues would then step up to torment the Flash as he is placed on trial for manslaughter. Gorilla City would play an important role in the story, and I'd have it so Gorilla Grodd is responsible for everything that happens instead of Abra Kadabra. The second film would end on a definitive note, either with Barry and Iris living together in the 30th century, or with Barry disappearing into the Speed Force and being presumed dead.

I think two films are enough, but if they really wanted to make more then the third film could draw from the Post-Crisis comics and focus on Wally West taking over as the Flash. Perhaps they could even adapt The Return of Barry Allen (1993) for the third movie.

Another superhero I'd love to see get her own movie is the Shayera Hol Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl. I've got quite a detailed idea of how I'd go about adapting this character for the big screen, combining elements from the various different origins that she and Hawkman have had over the years, and adapting elements from the Hawkworld (1989) miniseries. It would be the first genuinely good female superhero movie, and one in which the main protagonist is treated as a fully rounded character and not just a trashy sex object or one-dimensional love interest for the male hero. Most female superheroes either dress in absurdly revealing outfits or insipidly bland ones. But Hawkwoman's is genuinely cool, with an iconic mask/helmet, wings and an outfit that modestly covers her physique.

I'd start off with Shayera aged in her mid thirties and working as a museum curator in Chicago, oblivious of her Thanagarian heritage and struggling with repressed memories from her forgotten past. In particular, she'd be heaunted by recurring dreams of a man she can't quite remember, but with whom she feels a powerful connection. In researching alleged accounts of contact between ancient civilisations and alien visitors, she'd gradually begin to remember who she really is and why she came to Earth in the first place over ten years ago. Upon regaining her memories, she'd locate the wreckage of the ship she travelled to Earth in and retrieve her costume and weapons. She'd then set off on the trail of the criminal who originally led her to Earth, making her public debut as Hawkwoman (the name sounds more powerful than 'Hawkgirl') and sending out a distress signal to Thanagar for her people to come and collect her. The main villains would be Byth Rok and Gentleman Ghost. The sequel would simply be called Hawkman and would focus on Katar Hol coming to Earth to rescue his long lost wife. Then the two of them would team up to battle a new enemy.

I think one of the reasons female superheroes often don't work in live action is because they tend to cast skinny, pretty young women who simply don't look believable performing feats of physical strength that are clearly beyond them. It's much harder for a woman to gain muscle than it is for a man, so rather than cast a physically unimposing actress and give her a year to build herself up, I'd find a female athlete who already had the right physical build, then surround her with a strong supporting cast and give her a year to train with a good acting coach. Then we'd have a female superhero that actually has some meat on her, can fill out the classic costume and look believable performing feats of physical strength on screen.

There are plenty of lesser known characters I'd love to see get their own movies too, like Captain Marvel, the Metal Men and the Atom. The Atom in particular would be a very interesting character to adapt, as he's a kind of superhero we haven't seen before in a live action movie; one that mixes the familiar superhero formula with films like The Fantastic Voyage (1966) and Innerspace (1987). But now it looks like Marvel will beat them to it with Ant-Man (2015).

However, DC still has a chance to make the first 'oceanic superhero' film. Nobody's done that yet, and the rights to Namor the Sub-Mariner are currently held by Universal. So if Warner Bros were to act now they could get Aquaman into theatres before the rights to Namor even revert back to Marvel. But they'll have to get on with it if they want to be first across the finish line. WB has a clear head start on this one. But they probably won't capitalise on it.  ::)

An epic sci-fi movie based on The New Gods would be cool too. And that way they could introduce Darkseid before the Justice League movie.