Thor: The Dark World

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 23 Apr 2013, 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Sat, 23 Nov  2013, 22:25
sad to say i think Thor remains the weak sister of the Avengers. I just couldn't find myself interested in any aspect of Asgard other than Loki. Loki was great in this one but I don't feel it improved on the first film, may have even been weaker. I just find gods fighting kind of boring when they have the ability re manifest. It seems always luck every time something finally works.

The earth scenes were good but there was probably less time on earth.
I still like Thor as a character, Chris Hemworth's rousing performance and his input in 'The Avengers' however, I do agree that the standalone 'Thor' films are the weakest of the franchise.  Also, with Loki taking something of a backseat this time round (with an admittedly great climactic payoff and a bit of mid-film emotional development) the villains this time were rather undeveloped.  I was hoping for an epic battle rather than a one-on-one fight-off between a demi-god and a nondescript dark elf.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 23 Nov  2013, 22:48
Quote from: riddler on Sat, 23 Nov  2013, 22:25
sad to say i think Thor remains the weak sister of the Avengers. I just couldn't find myself interested in any aspect of Asgard other than Loki. Loki was great in this one but I don't feel it improved on the first film, may have even been weaker. I just find gods fighting kind of boring when they have the ability re manifest. It seems always luck every time something finally works.

The earth scenes were good but there was probably less time on earth.
I still like Thor as a character, Chris Hemworth's rousing performance and his input in 'The Avengers' however, I do agree that the standalone 'Thor' films are the weakest of the franchise.  Also, with Loki taking something of a backseat this time round (with an admittedly great climactic payoff and a bit of mid-film emotional development) the villains this time were rather undeveloped.  I was hoping for an epic battle rather than a one-on-one fight-off between a demi-god and a nondescript dark elf.

Yeah thats what I was getting at, the Thor films being the weak link; hemsworth and the character himself were good... little piece of Trivia: Chris Hemsworth and I have the exact same date of birth. What might have been? haha

Loki worked well as more of an anti-hero but you're right it left a gaping hole that this villain wasn't able to fill.

Still mad that they didn't green light a hulk sequel. Hopefully Cap 2 is good. Some people believe most of Caps best stories take place during WW2.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 24 Nov  2013, 22:32
Yeah thats what I was getting at, the Thor films being the weak link; hemsworth and the character himself were good... little piece of Trivia: Chris Hemsworth and I have the exact same date of birth. What might have been? haha

Loki worked well as more of an anti-hero but you're right it left a gaping hole that this villain wasn't able to fill.

Still mad that they didn't green light a hulk sequel. Hopefully Cap 2 is good. Some people believe most of Caps best stories take place during WW2.
Yes, I didn't want Loki to become the villain again this time around and in fact I kind of prefer him as a conflicted shadowy character rather than the outright Big Bad threat, but the film certainly lacked an equally charismatic presence in his place as the main villain.  The concept behind Christopher Eccleston's Malakith was pretty good; the leader of a zealous, terrorist type race.  But we needed to know a bit more about what the Dark Elves stood for as well as bit more character dynamics behind Malakith which we would only have gotten from more interesting interactions between the Dark Elves themselves, yet apart from Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's Algrim, who is quickly separated from the rest of the Elves none of the rest of them had any characterisation whatsoever.  In fact, Malakith and Algrim were the only Dark Elves who spoke.

I also agree with you about Hulk.  I for one am one of the few people who likes both Hulk movies and it's a shame we have not had a direct sequel to the 2008 movie since it's quite clear Tim Blake Nelson was being set up as 'The Leader'.  As it stands his intriguing transformation, just before the Hulk versus The Abomination showdown, seems like a complete anti-climax.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 25 Nov  2013, 00:37
Quote from: riddler on Sun, 24 Nov  2013, 22:32

Yes, I didn't want Loki to become the villain again this time around and in fact I kind of prefer him as a conflicted shadowy character rather than the outright Big Bad threat, but the film certainly lacked an equally charismatic presence in his place as the main villain.  The concept behind Christopher Eccleston's Malakith was pretty good; the leader of a zealous, terrorist type race.  But we needed to know a bit more about what the Dark Elves stood for as well as bit more character dynamics behind Malakith which we would only have gotten from more interesting interactions between the Dark Elves themselves, yet apart from Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's Algrim, who is quickly separated from the rest of the Elves none of the rest of them had any characterisation whatsoever.  In fact, Malakith and Algrim were the only Dark Elves who spoke.

I also agree with you about Hulk.  I for one am one of the few people who likes both Hulk movies and it's a shame we have not had a direct sequel to the 2008 movie since it's quite clear Tim Blake Nelson was being set up as 'The Leader'.  As it stands his intriguing transformation, just before the Hulk versus The Abomination showdown, seems like a complete anti-climax.

I'm hoping they do another hulk film during phase three but sadly if they do it may be a very loose sequel. Tim Blake Nelson is good friends with Edward Norton so he may not return. Too bad because the leader is likely the #2 hulk enemy after the abomination.