Selina's Day Is Completely Out Of Sequence

Started by lifesabitch, Thu, 25 Jul 2013, 04:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 28 Jul  2013, 16:12

I'll end this post with the most famous goof of all: the makeup disappearing from around Batman's eyes before he unmasks himself.

I've never viewed that as a goof so much as a "necessary evil," for lack of a better term. The filmmakers couldn't have a scene with Batman wearing heavy eyeshadow. It would look odd and take people out of the scene. Most people don't even notice that he wears the makeup because it blends in so well with the rest of the cowl.

It was either get rid of the makeup or not do the scene at all.

Notably, there's only one scene in the Nolan films when he takes off the cowl but his back is to the camera so you never see his eyes.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sun,  6 Oct  2013, 05:49
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 28 Jul  2013, 16:12

I'll end this post with the most famous goof of all: the makeup disappearing from around Batman's eyes before he unmasks himself.

I've never viewed that as a goof so much as a "necessary evil," for lack of a better term. The filmmakers couldn't have a scene with Batman wearing heavy eyeshadow. It would look odd and take people out of the scene. Most people don't even notice that he wears the makeup because it blends in so well with the rest of the cowl.

It was either get rid of the makeup or not do the scene at all.

I think it could have been handled better. Check out a similar unmasking scene from The Phantom (1996). Watch from around the 1:20 mark.

Billy Zane also wore black makeup around his eyes, but they shot and edited this scene in such a way that disguised its removal. I found this approach to the problem a lot smoother than Burton's.

I agree that edit did work better.

Although I bet it had more to do with the hair issue than the eye issue. Zane shaved his head so that his overall aesthetic would match the comic strip counterpart. A skintight mask over a head full of hair wouldn't look as good.

So that last shot was either a wig or the first scene they filmed.