Did Burton & Keaton have a falling out over BR?

Started by Furstmobile, Thu, 22 Dec 2011, 08:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Why has Burton never worked with Keaton since Batman Returns?

Keaton always speaks very highly of Burton, always saying that he hopes to work with him again. But it never happens.

I've never read or seen Burton comment on the prospect of working with Keaton again, though that question has probably never been brought up in his interviews. You can't help but wonder why Keaton hasn't showed up, even in a small role, in modern Burton films. I recently read that that Burton and Elfman had "creative differences" working on Nightmare Before Christmas, which surprised me. Which is supposedly why Howard Shore ended up scoring Ed Wood. That got me thinking about Burton & Keaton again. I've wondered about this before.

While he has never flat out stated that it sucks, it's no secret that Keaton is not very fond of Returns.
Quote from: Moviehole.net - Michael Keaton
The actor, who next appears in the action/comedy "The Other Guys", says "Toy Story 3″ has given him new-found faith in a type of film he's never really appreciated before-the sequel. "I think [the makers of sequels] just get soft and lazy, and don't think they need to try anymore", Keaton, who had appeared in only one sequel, "Batman Returns" (1992) up till now.
http://www.moviehole.net/201025217-michael-keaton

Quote from: MTV.com - Michael Keaton's dark memories of 'Batman' and shining love for 'Beetlejuice'
It was quite the cast with Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny DeVito and everyone. It wasn't as satisfying to me when I saw it, but maybe that's because the bar was set so high on the first one. I think I only watched it one time.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/05/12/michael-keatons-dark-memories-of-batman-and-shining-love-for-beetlejuice/

Quote from: MTV.com - Michael Keaton Endorses Chris Nolan's Batman Flicks
I'll always stand by the first [Batman]. Even for its imperfections, people will never know how hard that movie was to do. A lot of that still holds up.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1579979/michael-keaton-endorses-dark-knight.jhtml

I've always read that Keaton prefered Returns over 89, weird.

I don't think it was a case of falling out, its just Depp came along in Edward Scissorhands, and then became Burtons go-to-guy.
I'd like to see Keaton and Burton work together again, preferebly in a darker film hehe.

I think Keaton has a role in Burton's upcoming "Frankenweenie"... so maybe that will be a rekindling of their uhh... cinematic relationship?   ;)

You don't have to have a 'falling out' for people not to talk or deal with each other for sustained lengths of time. People just move on, do other things and live their life.

Quote from: Seantastic on Thu, 22 Dec  2011, 22:03
I've always read that Keaton prefered Returns over 89, weird.
Not really. He might just prefer B89. And then there's the angle of it being his first film. Lots of people making a noise about how he was miscast. Then the hype machine starts up big time, and Keaton is then accepted and loved in the role. Got to have large sentimental and nostalgic value there, and with the film as a whole.

Sadly Michael Keaton suffers from the same issues as 2 other movie/tv hero's of mine: Bill Murray (Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters) and Tom Baker (Dr Who) in that his most iconic role is not exactly his favourite or even to him his most significant. I sometimes wonder if Keaton regrets playing the character. Much as I'd love to meet the guy I would hesistate about asking him about his Caped Crusader days lol

He did say if Burton had not been involved he wouldn't have even read the thing. It's understandable I guess in that actor way of trying to avoid typecasting. Beetlejuice may be his favourite (and certainly one of my favourite films) but it's Batman that will be shown first someday when he's no longer around.

Well if Beetlejuice 2 gets off the ground (the script is being written now and Keaton agreed to star) if what im hearing is correct these days, they will be working on another film very soon.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

With Bill Murray's post Anderson popularity, as well as his work in 'Lost in Translation' and 'Broken Flowers' (terrific film), I don't think I would categorize his post popular-role career in the same light as Keaton's.