Hate revisiting this, but anway

Started by Grissom, Fri, 1 Jun 2012, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic
http://entertainment.blogs.uatu.net/2011/01/03/jack-nicholson-was-a-better-joker-than-heath-ledger/

Some good points made here, especially attacking some of the criticism of Nicholson. The comments also offer some good insight.

I get so fed up of people complaining about Nicholson's Joker or criticising the previous Batman series as a whole. Find it so boring to hear about now.

I too felt Nicholson nailed the humour far better. And then you hear his Joker laugh! Far more impressive. It can be funny and scary (scene where he heads up the stairs of the doctor's surgery, still a chilling moment). While I still enjoyed Ledger I felt he was actually far too intellectual to be the Joker. All this "you really are incorruptable..." business. I found that slightly against character. The Nicholson wouldn't give a crap at being that deep lol And isn't that a truer Joker of the comics? Mindless crimes and violence with a dark sense of humour?

I think certain fans need to grow up from their childish internet feuds and be intelligent enough to enjoy both portrayls. When I saw Cesar Romero as a kid it didn't make any difference to me that he was clearly a gentler kinder Joker than Nicholson. It was still the Joker and still Batman.

The character Ledger played isn't the Joker. Period.

That having been said, I find both versions entertaining. Nicholson remains definitive in terms of who the Joker is and the kinds of stuff he does but there's nothing wrong with liking both.

i enjoy both for the films they are in. Ledgers was better for the gritty version but only moderately looked and acted like the Joker. I also liked his mystery as his was truly having the unknown past.

Jacks fit the crime drama film better and felt more like the comic version.

The B89 Joker is everything I associate with the character. Funny, clown gadgets, permawhite, etc.

I love the before and after comparisons with Nicholson's version. His life as Jack and his life as The Joker.

I find it very interesting and engaging if you look deeper. It's all there.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 18 Sep  2012, 02:29

That having been said, I find both versions entertaining. Nicholson remains definitive in terms of who the Joker is and the kinds of stuff he does but there's nothing wrong with liking both.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this, word for word. 

"And I thought my jokes were bad."

I don't see The Joker saying this at all.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 18 Sep  2012, 04:52
The B89 Joker is everything I associate with the character. Funny, clown gadgets, permawhite, etc.

I love the before and after comparisons with Nicholson's version. His life as Jack and his life as The Joker.

I find it very interesting and engaging if you look deeper. It's all there.

I pretty much said this is just another post just now lol They do need to look deeper into the characters and plotlines. With Nolan it's all flagged up in your face. Explained to death and then some. Nothing wrong with that, I enjoyed the great depth of Begins especially but that doesn't mean his are necessarily better and more deeper because of this.

I think the word "subtle" (as Bruce himself muses in Returns don'tcha know!) is how we can descriptively define the true great Batman movies.

The makeup designed by Nick Dudman blows my mind to this day. Those were the days when filmmakers tried to make a character look like their comics counterpart without question. Makeup and costumes combined! Far from the days when an X-Man had to sport black leather. I miss those exciting days. The fun of comic movies for me used to be seeing those characters come alive in flesh and blood no matter how silly the wardrobe.

Nicholson's have sadly now been overshadowed by the grungy Joker look of The Dark Knight which, ironically, even sports two black spots around the eyes that owe a severe debt to Burton, Penguin and Beetlejuice surely? lol

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Tue, 18 Sep  2012, 23:49

really the whole film blows me away. I mean it was 1989. Compare that to the captain america film Marvel tried to respond with the next year and it's not even close.

The makeup designed by Nick Dudman blows my mind to this day. Those were the days when filmmakers tried to make a character look like their comics counterpart without question. Makeup and costumes combined! Far from the days when an X-Man had to sport black leather. I miss those exciting days. The fun of comic movies for me used to be seeing those characters come alive in flesh and blood no matter how silly the wardrobe.

Nicholson's have sadly now been overshadowed by the grungy Joker look of The Dark Knight which, ironically, even sports two black spots around the eyes that owe a severe debt to Burton, Penguin and Beetlejuice surely? lol