All the changes and deviations from the comics

Started by GothamAlleys, Tue, 15 Mar 2011, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic
I didnt know where to put it so I placed it in this forum. Im trying to gather all the differences between how the comics and movies to see which one  truly deviates the most (not that I care, a good movie is a good movie period)

BATMAN
- Wayne not being a socialite
- Joker: not being Red Hood, having a revealed name, killing Waynes
- Vale being blonde
- Batman having a yellow oval from the beginning and having an all black body suit and eye makeup
- Waynes not seeing Mark of Zorro in the theater
- Gordon not being a smoker and not wearing glasses
- Dent being black
- Alfred isnt a thin, balding man with mustache

BATMAN RETURNS
- Catwoman: wearing all black vinyl suit, Shreck responsible for her trauma that releases her other side instead of a plane crash that does it in comics, her being a secretary instead of a flight attendant or prostitute as in modern age (although the blonde hair, the 9 lives ambiguity and the awakening of a different side after a head trauma is all from golden age naturally)
- Batman having a yellow oval from the beginning and having an all black body suit and eye makeup
- Penguin being a deformed freak seeking revenge on society, living in a sewer and leading a circus gang instead of being a diamond crook and mobster (although stuff like eating raw fish, trying to get engaged with Catwoman, living with penguins and using them to carry rockets, framing Batman, using big gift boxes and giant cages is all from the Golden Age comics)

BATMAN FOREVER
- Two Face killing Grayson's parents instead of thugs hired by Zucco
- Robin: wearing Tim Drake's suit, being reluctant to stay with Wayne
- Nygma working for Wayne Enterprise, being infatuated with Wayne
- Arkham reflecting the Animated series more than the then comic version
- Dr Burton a head of Arkham instead of Jeremiah Arkham

BATMAN & ROBIN
- Mr Freeze's story refelcts that of Animated Series, nt the comics
- Robin wearing a Nightwing suit as Robin
- Batman wearing a one colored body suit and eye makeup
- Woodrue creating venom and Bane
- Bane: having a revealed name, not having Trogg, Bird and Zombie around him, not breaking out alone from Pena Duro, not being intelligent, not being obsessed with Batman, working for Poison Ivy
- Poison Ivy: created by accident by Woodrue, being a redhead
- Batwoman: not being Gordon's daughter, wearing a one colored body suit, being blonde
- Gordon not smoking and not having glasses

BATMAN BEGINS
- Ras Al Ghul: didnt teach Batman, is not the same person as Henri Ducard, is immortal, has a daughter
- Henri Ducard: is a greedy french detective who taugh Batman detective skills and fgave him a firearms training
- Entire origin of Batman is redone: - Rachel character present during his fall into the cave, Waynes go to opera instead of theater, little Bruce doesnt decide he wants to be a skilled and masked crime fighter days later and doesnt almost instantly leave for a life long trip around thje world to learn different skills from different masters in different parts of the world, using his wealth. He isnt shown the path by Ghul
- Flass is fat and weak, instead of being a big, strong, blonde former military guy
- Gordon doesnt smoke
- Batman wears body suit and black eye makeup
- Jonathan Crane isnt an old, incredibly skinny college professor set on revenge on the University that he taught at
- Crane: owns Arkham, is a psychiatrist, is much younger, works with Falcone and Ras
- Arkham isnt located in outskirts
- GOTHam city isnt a gargoyle and church-filled Gothic city
- Zsasz is bold and a murderer for hire instead of a blonde guy killing for sadistic pleasure just for himself
- Joe Chill is a frightened guy pushed by depression instead of being a killer for hire
- Comissioner Loeb being black, not being corrupted, not working with Flass against Gordon

THE DARK KNIGHT
-Joker: responsible for Two Face's insanity and scars. He doesn't match any of the comic book incarnations (although takes pieces from some of them and mixes together)  Unlike Modern Age Joker he wears makeup, Glasgow smile, dyed curly hair, is much much younger, doesnt have any personalized gadgets, doesn't have any killer prank accessories, doesn't wear an old gangster suit with stripes and a hat. And the golden age Joker was lusting for diamonds and art pieces and wanted to kill Batman. Isn Red Hood, didn't fall into chemicals, the first glance of his look doesnt trigger his insanity, hes a masochist and enjoys pain
- Batman wears padded bodysuit and black eye makeup
- Gordon doesn't smoke
- Alfred isn't a thin, balding guy with mustache
- GOTHam city isnt a gargoyle and church-filled Gothic city
- Jonathan Crane isnt an old, incredibly skinny college professor set on revenge on the University that he taught at
- Comissioner Loeb being black, not being corrupted, not working with Flass against Gordon
- Two Face: gets his lucky coin from his father instead of Maroni, gets his face burned in fire instead of getting it splashed with acid by Maroni, goes insane because of the loss of Rachel instead of going crazy over his look, shows no sign of duality in personality

Tue, 15 Mar 2011, 21:26 #1 Last Edit: Tue, 15 Mar 2011, 21:33 by Silver Nemesis
Good list. Though there are a few points I'd question.

Quote- Penguin being a deformed freak seeking revenge on society, living in a sewer and leading a circus gang instead of being a diamond crook and mobster

He didn't live in the sewers in the move either. A lot of people assume his first hideout was in the sewers, but it was actually the penguin habitat at the zoo (hence the presence of the giant air conditioner). It was connected to the sewer network, but wasn't actually a part of it.
The only time I've ever seen the Penguin have his hideout in the sewers was in the Batman: The Animated Series episode 'The Mechanic'. I seem to remember he had the giant yellow duck in that too.

QuotePoison Ivy: created by accident by Woodrue, being a redhead

Poison Ivy has always been a redhead since she first debuted in the sixties.

And in Neil Gaiman's 1988-89 miniseries Black Orchid it was revealed that Pamela Isley acquired her peculiar physiognomy after she was experimented on by her college teacher, Jason Woodrue (aka the Floronic Man).

Quote- Batwoman: not being Gordon's daughter, wearing a one colored body suit, being blonde

This is a fair point. But it's worth remembering that the Batgirl in Batman and Robin wasn't really based on Barbara Gordon beyond the use of her first name. She was really an amalgamation of two characters from the sixties comics: the original Batgirl, Betty Kane, and Alfred's niece, Daphne. If you evaluate her depiction in those terms, she's actually very close to the comics.

Betty showed up on her aunt's doorstep out of the blue, little realising that her aunt was really Batwoman.

Similarly, Daphne Pennyworth showed up at Wayne Manor to visit her uncle Alfred; immediately attracting the attention of Dick Grayson.

Daphne never became Batgirl, but Betty Kane did. Both girls were blonde.

A few things I might add to the list.

BATMAN RETURNS
•   Cobblepot doesn't try to act like a gentleman of crime like he does in the comics.
•   Catwoman doesn't steal anything. Although reinterpreted many times over the years, she is usually depicted as pursuing monetary gain – either by stealing jewels or going directly for the money itself.

BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN
•   Batman and Robin have sculpted nipples and codpieces on their costumes. The comic versions dont.

BATMAN AND ROBIN
•   The storyline about Alfred dying and Batman curing him using technology acquired after defeating Mr. Freeze was taken from 'Mr. Freeze's Chilling Deathtrap!' (Detective Comics #373, March 1968). Only in the comics in was Aunt Harriet who was sick, not Alfred.
•   Bane in this movie bears little resemblance to his comic counterpart. He does, however, have a lot in common with Poison Ivy's henchman Evan, who appeared in several issues in the early eighties. There's actually quite a bit to be said about this and other comic influences on Batman and Robin. I might post some comparisons in the future if anyone's interested.

BATMAN BEGINS
•   Ra's al Ghul calls Batman "Bruce" instead of "Detective".
•   "The League of Assassins" is called "The League of Shadows" .
•   Lucius Fox is a technical expert who knows Batman's secret identity and builds his weapons for him. In the comics he's just a CEO who runs Wayne Enterprises and his background is in finance, not applied science.
•   Batman's origin story makes no reference to his time training with law enforcement agencies. He spends the whole time training his body, but we never see him training his mind.
•   Wayne Manor was not destroyed at the beginning of Batman's career in the comics.

THE DARK KNIGHT
•   Bruce and Alfred moved into a penthouse in Batman #217, but only because they felt Wayne Manor was empty after Dick Grayson left for college. Dick Grayson does not exist in Nolan's universe (so far) and the reason for them moving is entirely different.
•   As you mentioned, there is no reference to Two-Face having the split personality of his comic counterpart. Nor is there any reference to his obsession with the number "2" or crimes connected to that motif.

I'm sure there are other things to point out in all the movies, but those are the only ones I can think of for now.

Great stuff. Though I'd argue, though pushed to a minimal....Bruce IS a socialite in 89.

Whats the most interesting i that Returns absolutely isnt the one with most changes at all, just like Nolan's arent any more faithful then other movies, despite the claim

Quote from: GothamAlleys on Wed, 16 Mar  2011, 12:26
Whats the most interesting i that Returns absolutely isnt the one with most changes at all, just like Nolan's arent any more faithful then other movies, despite the claim
Exactly. BR is one of the purest interpretations of Batman. Ever.

I find it very insulting when people say Burton's films are Elseworld tales. And that BB and TDK are the real in-continuity versions.