Top 10 Marvel comics films

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 24 Jul 2013, 16:44

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 12:54
If I could criticize one thing about Avengers, I'd say that the music didn't do the film any justice. I loved Alan Silvestri's music for The First Avenger - it really fit the mood and period that movie was set. But his work for Avengers was rather bland.

Someday soon, I really need to re-watch Avengers again, but I think you're absolutely right. As I do not remember the score at all. Unlike other scores, it didn't stick with me. But yeah, I agree with Captain America having a more memorable score, and that was one movie I didn't have a whole lot of expectations for, but was pleasantly surprised how much I really enjoyed it once the end credits began to roll. Honestly, it's one of two Marvel movies I checked out twice in the theater (the other being Spider-Man 2).

Very much looking forward to the Winter Soldier sequel.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 12:32I agree that arguing that Captain America didn't deal more explicitly with the horrors of World War II is a lousy reason to criticise this film.  Thank goodness the filmmakers of this movie had the decency to understand this is a comic-book movie and that references to the worst aspects of the war would have been in bad taste.
No kidding. What bugs me the most about that criticism is that a lot of films have presented Nazis as villains without going into much depth about the true horrors they perpetrated. As those films (among thing two Indiana Jones films) now lesser works of cinema? Give me a break, you know?

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 12:32However, I do wish the film had been a little more explicit in tying Red Skull to the Nazis.  I realise that the film does touch on this and that HYDRA is a breakaway organisation but a few more references to the real Nazis and their agenda wouldn't have hurt.  I always love a bit of Nazi-bashing, real or fictional (which may partly explain my love of the Indiana Jones films).
It's funny, the big rumor about the movie was that (for reasons of playing internationally) the movie would show ZERO swastikas. But I saw a few swastikas here and there through the film, mostly at the beginning.

Anyway, the best part about the Cap movie to me is that so much of Cap's war record and similar things are glossed over that you could do another period film as a sequel if you wanted to and, if you did it right, probably even use the Red Skull as the villain again.