the jokers death

Started by cementman, Mon, 31 Aug 2009, 03:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: batass4880 on Mon,  7 Sep  2009, 07:13

I apologize. I was just trying to make a point that nobody wants to hear other people's politics on a non-political site.

Agreed 100%.

I agree and I'm sorry if I'm partly responsible for letting the topic degenerate into a political debate, but it does have to be said that the sig is by its very nature 'political'.  I doubt you would get many Obama supporters using the same tag.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009, 10:37 #62 Last Edit: Tue, 15 Sep 2009, 10:48 by The Dark Knight
Just getting this back on topic.

Quote from: Joker81 on Sun,  6 Sep  2009, 13:13
I hate the critsism Batman gets for the Joker dying (when that was the original idea for batman no.1) and the Wayne murders (even tho Bob Kane endorsed the idea of Napier killing the Waynes)
Solid point.

Batman (1989) was endorsed by Bob Kane himself. The Joker being Bruce Wayne's parents killer, the lot. I recall he said that's how he would have done things as well if he had the chance again.

The Joker was going to be killed off in his second appearance, but was spared at the last minute so that he could be used in other comics. Batman (1989) followed through with the idea.

So, actually, Batman (1989) is more faithful in tone to the original concept of the early comics.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 15 Sep  2009, 10:37
Just getting this back on topic.

Quote from: Joker81 on Sun,  6 Sep  2009, 13:13
I hate the critsism Batman gets for the Joker dying (when that was the original idea for batman no.1) and the Wayne murders (even tho Bob Kane endorsed the idea of Napier killing the Waynes)
Solid point.

Batman (1989) was endorsed by Bob Kane himself. The Joker being Bruce Wayne's parents killer, the lot. I recall he said that's how he would have done things as well if he had the chance again.

The Joker was going to be killed off in his second appearance, but was spared at the last minute so that he could be used in other comics. Batman (1989) followed through with the idea.

So, actually, Batman (1989) is more faithful in tone to the original concept of the early comics.

I totally agree with you there! I was flicking through my Batman Chronicles no. 1 this morning, and when the Joker dies Robin says "Look at him, grinning in death just as in life" or something to that effect. Just like in the film, his smile remains.

Agreed, Dark Knight. It just seems so fitting that Jack Napier was the murderer of the Waynes, almost a Greek tragedy. Evolving into Bruce becoming Batman and then facing Napier again as a more demented and dangerous Joker. Bob Kane did say if he could have done it over, he would have made Napier the killer of the Waynes. I never had a problem with it in the film, never had a problem years later when I found out it was supposedly a thug named Joe Chill and I will never have a problem with it. It worked perfectly in the film and I wouldn't change it.

Yeah, for me the film Batman is just one story in the whole Batman Universe. It makes sense to me because it seems complete. I dont need anything more from that movie. It has a start middle and an end. Thats what I like about it in Theatrical terms, being a Batman fan AND a film fan. It makes sense to me.

It just so happens that this particular film made me more of a bat-fan than any comic ever would, or any other bat-film would. I hold it in high regard and it is the reason I am a bat-fan.

Quote from: Joker81 on Tue, 15 Sep  2009, 15:31
Yeah, for me the film Batman is just one story in the whole Batman Universe. It makes sense to me because it seems complete. I dont need anything more from that movie. It has a start middle and an end. Thats what I like about it in Theatrical terms, being a Batman fan AND a film fan. It makes sense to me.

It just so happens that this particular film made me more of a bat-fan than any comic ever would, or any other bat-film would. I hold it in high regard and it is the reason I am a bat-fan.
I agree with every word written here.  :)