The RoboCop Thread

Started by The Joker, Thu, 24 Feb 2011, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 27 Sep  2024, 20:39That's one remake I'm not entirely averse to, simply because there hasn't been a proper Gill-man movie since 1956 (not counting The Monster Squad). I've said before that I'd love to read Nigel Kneale's original script for Halloween III, and I'd be equally eager to read his Creature from the Black Lagoon remake script. It sounds like an interesting Cold War submarine thriller that would've put a contemporary eighties spin on the Gill-man concept.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon, however, is another matter. That remake has potential.

Yeah, I am interested in finding out more about James Wan's take. I vaguely remember someone being attached to helm a Black Lagoon remake during the 2010's, and stated he wanted to pull from Alien and The Thing '82 in terms of impending dread, and paranoia. I believe I read somewhere that Tobe Hooper/Kim Henkel wrote a treatment in the late 1970's/early 1980's, that actually involved other creatures, such as Bigfoot. I understand that "The Shape of Water" is essentially Guillermo del Toro's take, and as much as I've tried to like that movie, I just didn't particularly care for it all that much.

It's kinda interesting to think that Jack Arnold, who directed the original film, was said to be interested in directing a 3-D remake during the early 1980's when 3-D films had a short lived revival. Nothing, ultimately, came of it of course. Similar to John Carpenter, though I think his association with a remake got a little farther along before it too got cancelled. This one's been thru some different hands and concepts to say the least. Maybe Wan is the guy? We'll see...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  2 Oct  2024, 05:14Yeah, I am interested in finding out more about James Wan's take. I vaguely remember someone being attached to helm a Black Lagoon remake during the 2010's, and stated he wanted to pull from Alien and The Thing '82 in terms of impending dread, and paranoia. I believe I read somewhere that Tobe Hooper/Kim Henkel wrote a treatment in the late 1970's/early 1980's, that actually involved other creatures, such as Bigfoot.

I wish it had been made in the eighties. That was the golden age of sci-fi movie remakes. Actually I'd say the golden age really began in the seventies with Philip Kaufman's 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But the eighties, with all its great practical creature effects, would've been the perfect decade for Gill-man to return.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  2 Oct  2024, 05:14I understand that "The Shape of Water" is essentially Guillermo del Toro's take, and as much as I've tried to like that movie, I just didn't particularly care for it all that much.

I didn't like that movie either. Critics love depictions of female sexuality that exclude men (in this case through piscine bestiality – something Hollyweird is apparently comfortable celebrating) and movies which depict all straight white males as evil. The Shape of Water ticked both of those boxes in the bluntest way possible. I thought it was one of the most overrated films of the 2010s.

I used to like del Toro's work up to and including Hellboy II, but I think he peaked with Pan's Labyrinth and has been in decline ever since.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 27 Sep  2024, 20:39That's one remake I'm not entirely averse to, simply because there hasn't been a proper Gill-man movie since 1956
Same. And if it was any other director, I'm not sure I'd be so enthusiastic. But Wan has a lot of cred in my world.

And as you say, it's been so long since his last appearance in cinema that there could be some genuine demand from existing fans as well as potential new fans who have zero preconceptions on what this character can be. There's a real chance that this movie could be huge if the factors line up properly.