The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Guesswork based on the first clip: Bruce says Gotham is safe and he's not needed. I have no idea if this comment is fleshed out later, but it potentially gives room to suggest he's brought crime under control through a drone program while chilling inside Wayne Manor. As I thought, Keatonman has never heard of or met any Superman before. Making this no different to Bale meeting metahumans, which is pretty wild, and I think appropriate. It's the way I always saw the Burtonverse. Keaton's performance is amazing too. He's funny, odd (as a recluse would be) and with a nervous type of energy about him. To the point you wouldn't think he's Batman at all. Which is a compliment to the transformation which will happen later.

Here are some more clips, including the scene where Barry2 converts the BR batsuit into a Flash costume.

The review embargo ends today, which should give us an idea of the critical consensus.

At the heart of everything this is a Flash movie, but after watching some of those clips I'm inclined to say it's capturing a similar kind of vibe that Burton had in 1989 and 1992. A movie that has darker elements but is really an elevated form of the 1966 Batman that makes it accessible to a wider range of people. I'm eager to see if the real reviews match the early hype that was put out there to create buzz. I have a feeling they could be somewhat similar.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  6 Jun  2023, 09:17
The review embargo ends today, which should give us an idea of the critical consensus.

Might be at least amusing to read I guess. So far it seems to be getting a lot of, "It's fine. Not ground breaking, not 'the best DC movie since Nolan's The Dark Knight yet again for the 100th time!', but overall good/very decent." kinda takes.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

So the rumors are going strong that Andy Muschietti is going to direct The Brave and the Bold.

We'll see....

Tue, 13 Jun 2023, 13:02 #896 Last Edit: Tue, 13 Jun 2023, 13:05 by The Dark Knight
I've seen the movie. I won't go into spoilers but I had a really good time with it. It's definitely a Flash film but there's enough Batman content in there to satisfy us as fans. Keaton steps in to the role effortlessly, even if what you see in the trailers is pretty much what you get, albeit expanded in parts.

It was a particular joy to watch his Batman in combat, and I love how it showcased how intelligent he is. He has a gadget for every occasion and thinks things through. It really did feel like the comics come to life in that regard, moreso than most of the screen incarnations we've seen. There's also another B89 quote callback that I wasn't expecting and had me grinning from ear to ear. I've come to conclusions about certain plot points and I'm comfortable with them.

I don't like Ezra as a person but I can't deny he did a good job here, even if younger variant Barry is annoying. Which he's meant to be. The characters all have arcs and I can appreciate the growth they undergo. I'll have more to say as I let it go over in my mind. All in all, I do think The Flash is one of the better DC films.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 13 Jun  2023, 13:02I don't like Ezra as a person but I can't deny he did a good job here, even if younger variant Barry is annoying. Which he's meant to be. The characters all have arcs and I can appreciate the growth they undergo. I'll have more to say as I let it go over in my mind. All in all, I do think The Flash is one of the better DC films.
I've always hated Ezra's Barry. Even before Ezra went crazy, I hated his casting. His Barry is way too goofy for me. It's much closer to Wally, but just an all-around bad Barry Allen.

Is he still ultra goofy in this? 

There are aspects of it still there of course, but he's less so compared to the younger Barry. Especially when he meets the other version of himself, who shouldn't exist, he can see how unappreciative and flippant he is about life, and he doesn't like it. You can tell the difference between the two. One is experienced and the other isn't.

I think the runtime is pretty good. It kept me engaged throughout. I felt a part during the last act was a bit off, but it didn't last long. The plot is focused and knows the core messages it's trying to convey.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 13 Jun  2023, 13:39
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 13 Jun  2023, 13:02I don't like Ezra as a person but I can't deny he did a good job here, even if younger variant Barry is annoying. Which he's meant to be. The characters all have arcs and I can appreciate the growth they undergo. I'll have more to say as I let it go over in my mind. All in all, I do think The Flash is one of the better DC films.
I've always hated Ezra's Barry. Even before Ezra went crazy, I hated his casting. His Barry is way too goofy for me. It's much closer to Wally, but just an all-around bad Barry Allen.

Is he still ultra goofy in this? 

I saw the movie yesterday! Yes, the younger Barry is quite goofy in this. It works sometimes (I did laugh a few times) and other times it falls flat to the point of cringe. I don't want to give too much away, but I did feel like Keaton was absolutely the bright spot of the movie. I'm not sure if I'd watch the movie a second time, despite Keaton being fantastic in it. I did walk away smiling though... it was a real trip seeing him as Batman again after all these years.